RI’s First Female Governor is Inaugurated - Gina Raimondo
Wednesday, January 07, 2015
Rhode Island's most notable Governors include the likes of William Sprague, III, Thomas Dorr, Henry Lippitt, Theodore Francis Green, John Pastore, John Chafee and now a Rhodes Scholar - Raimondo.
Take a look at some of the images from Tuesday's frosty event.
Related Slideshow: Gina Raimondo is Inaugurated as the 75th Governor of RI
Gina Raimondo was inaugurated on Tuesday, Janary 6, 2015 as Rhode Island's 75th--and first female-- Governor.
Joined by her family, Raimondo was sworn in on the south steps of the Rhode Island State House.
For a further look at her day, see the slideshow below.
Despite the frigid temperatures and a light snow falling, hundreds turned out in front of the Rhode Island State House to see Gina Raimondo sworn in as the 75th Governor, and first female governor, in Rhode Island history.
Raimondo is also the first democrat to win the office in 22 years.
Gina Raimondo is accompanied by her husband Andy Moffit and former governor Lincoln Chafee and his wife Stephanie.
They watch as the snow falls and the ceremony carries on.
Gina Raimondo waves to the crowd after being presented with the gorget by Major General Kevin R. McBride.
The gorget was used by 14th century knights to protect their necks from swords and various other weapons
The gorget symbolizes Raimondo's status as Governor and the Commander and Chief of the RI National Guard.
19 Gun Salute
Just prior to Governor Raimondo's inaugural address, the Rhode Island militia fired off a 19 gun salute with cannons on the state house lawn.
It was about as loud as you could imagine.
"To spark Rhode Island’s comeback, we have to do three things:
First, BUILD THE SKILLS our students and workers need to compete in the 21st century;
Second, ATTRACT entrepreneurs and investment in industries of our strengths, to stimulate our economy and create jobs;
And third, INNOVATE, including in our state government, to enhance accountability and deliver value to taxpayers," Raimondo said in her first speech as Governor of Rhode Island.
- Taveras Inauguration Speech: Read Advance Excerpts Here
- Taveras Announces Inauguration Plans
- Chafee Plans ‘Frugal’ Inauguration
- FULL TEXT: Pawtucket Mayor’s Inauguration Speech
- FULL TEXT: Chafee’s Inauguration Speech
- NEW: Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza’s Inauguration Speech
- 2015 Mayoral Inauguration and Program of Events Announced
- Gay Marriage Becomes Law - Chafee’s Inauguration Speech ‘11
- Don Roach: I Didn’t Watch the Inauguration
- NEW: Governor-elect Raimondo Re-appoints Coit to DEM
- NEW: Raimondo Picks O’Malley Staffer for Chief of Staff
- NEW: Raimondo to Nominate Lt. Governor Roberts for Secretary of Health and Human Services
- NEW: ACLU Sues Providence Police for Violation at Raimondo Fundraiser
- New: Raimondo Announces CollegeBoundfund Changes to Help RI Families Save for College
- Dr. Downtown, David Brussat: Free Advice for Raimondo
- What Can RI Expect from a Raimondo Administration?
- Raimondo Joins RI Director of Health to Promote Flu Vaccination
- Raimondo’s Transition Team is Dominated by Bankers
- 10 Questions Raimondo Has to Answer as Governor
- NEW: Raimondo to Nominate Former Newark Economic Chief for Commerce Secretary
- Rhode Islanders Provide Suggestions for Raimondo Policy Summit
- Raimondo Isn’t Your Typical Democrat and That’s Good News for Rhode Island
- NEW: Raimondo Announces “Make it in RI” Inaugural Schedule
- Horowitz: Stars Aligning for Raimondo
- Gina Raimondo: Ten Issues She Can’t Hide From
- NEW: Raimondo Replaces Ferguson at HealthSource RI
- WHJJ PODCAST: Governor-Elect Gina Raimondo Interview
- Raimondo Calls Transition Policy Summit “Beginning of Conversation” for RI
- Russ Moore: Sorry Raimondo, Summits Won’t Fix Our Economy
- NEW: Raimondo to Nominate Former Almond Staffer DiBiase for Director of Administratoin
- NEW: Raimondo Taps Second Staffer from Maryland Governor’s Administration
- RI’s First Female Governor is Inaugurated - Gina Raimondo