RIDOT to Expand Pell Bridge Project Following $20 Million Grant
Friday, December 07, 2018
"We thank Senator Reed and the entire Rhode Island Congressional delegation, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao and U.S. DOT for their efforts in providing additional funds for this project. It will allow us to do more work, and do it faster, and provide an improved roadway network for both Newport's North End gateway and Pell Bridge gateway,” said RIDOT Director Peter Alviti Jr.
Governor Gina Raimondo added, “This federal grant will make a big impact on our efforts to increase the safety and efficiency of the Pell Bridge while opening up land for development. By reconfiguring the Pell ramps, we are creating space for new investment in science, technology, and innovation.”
Pell Bridge Project
The Pell Bridge Ramps Project will reconfigure the Pell Bridge ramps to provide quicker access to Newport town center and to relieve traffic backups on the bridge.
It also proposes a complete removal of the viaduct infrastructure over Admiral Kalbfus Road which will free up significant acreage of land for economic development in Newport.
With the new funds, the RIDOT is able to include a reconstruction of segments of J.T. Connell Highway in Newport and Coddington Highway in Newport and Middletown, which together serve as one of the main thoroughfares through Newport's North End, and gateway to downtown Newport and the Naval Station Newport.
The total project area is approximately 50 acres, much of which is located in the Newport Resilience Innovation District.
The entire project is estimated to cost $66.1 million.
Related Slideshow: Newport Bridge Path & Observation Deck Renderings - 2018
- Newport Bridgefest 2017 Set to Begin on July 31
- VIDEO: Drone Captures Car Fire on Newport Bridge by Johnston Man on Jet Ski
- RITBA Considers Adding Observatory Deck, Bike Lane to Newport Bridge
- RIDOT Announces Paving Schedule for South & North Main Streets in Providence
- Raimondo, RIDOT Announce Opening of Blackstone River Bikeway Segment
- RIDOT Breaks Ground on New Segment of Blackstone River Bikeway in Woonsocket
- RIDOT Says I-295 Renumbering Program Starts Next Week
- Morgan Questions Effectiveness of RIDOT Spending for Providence Viaduct Bridge
- RIDOT Says Sidewalk Restrictions Needed for East Bay Bike Path Bridges
- RIDOT Selects Kapsch as Contractor for Tolling Program
- RIDOT Accepting Proposals for New Pawtucket Commuter Rail Station
- RIDOT Announces Upcoming Bridge Closures
- RI Trucking Assoc. Refutes RIDOT’s Defense for Placing Toll on Oxford Street Bridge
- Federal Hill Frustration Mounts Over Lack of “Little Italy” Progress with RIDOT
- RIDOT’s New Series “Ripple Effect” Highlights Consequences of Drunk Driving
- RIDOT Announces Paving Schedule for 3 Sections of Hartford Ave
- RIDOT to Remove I-95 Lane Splits in Providence This Weekend
- RIDOT Announces 2-Month Closure of Exit 30 off I-95 South Effective Oct. 11
- RIDOT to Close I-95/Route 10 Bridge for Repairs Starting Sunday
- RIDOT Announces Upcoming Lane & Ramp Closures for I-295 Bridge Repairs