RI House of Reps Passes Bill Banning “Forever Pets”
Saturday, June 02, 2018
“The practice of renting or leasing a ‘forever pet’ is nothing more than an unscrupulous business practice designed to fleece the buyer out of their money by charging exorbitant interest rates much like the practices of payday lenders. They prey on the emotions of the less affluent by inducing them to enter into high-interest loans, the so-called lease/rent pet agreements, in order to afford a high priced ‘forever pet’,” said bill sponsor Deputy Speaker Charlene Lima.
The bill now heads to the Senate for consideration.
A “forever pet” is defined as any dog or cat purchased from a business or individual which purchase does not vest permanent ownership in the buyer.
Violations of the act would be punishable by a fine of $500 for the first violation and up to $1,000 for each subsequent violation, and/or revocation of the businesses retail sales license.
The act would not prohibit the temporary leasing or rental of purebred dogs for breeding, animals used in shows and exhibitions, and working animals such as guide dogs.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Pets in Need of Loving Homes - May 29, 2018
Hi there, my name is Nina. I am 3 year old an itty bitty Chihuahua looking for her forever home. I can be very nervous with strangers but with time and patience, I warm up and am quite the silly love bug. My adopter is going to get three free training sessions through PARL's LEAP fund program to help me work through my nervous behaviors around strangers. I could live with teens but need to be the only pet. Come meet me today!
Hi, my name is Pico! I am a 4 year old small sized mixed breed male. I have lived with kids and cats but need to be the only dog. Come meet me today!
Hi my name is Stevie Nicks. I am a 5 year old pittie mix! I have some allergies that my friends at PARL have been helping me with and I am feeling a whole lot better. My adopter will need to give me special food, medication, and treatments to help keep my allergies at bay. I could possibly live with another dog and older kids would be okay with me. Come meet me today.
Hi, my name is Remy! I am an 8 year old extra large sized mixed breed male. Although I am on the older side, I love to go for walks and go to playgroup with my dog friends. I could go to a home with older children and another dog but no cats for me - come meet me today!
Hi, I am Mathis! I am a 1 year old large sized low rider mixed breed. I am goofy and very treat motivated. I enjoy going for walks and playing with my dog friends here at PARL. I can be a little nervous of strangers so my friends here at PARL are sending me home with 3 free training sessions for my adopter to work with me to boost my confidence. Come meet me today!
My name is Coral and I am a 1 1/2 year old female. What I lack in years, I make up for in smarts. I am a very active and engaged little lady looking for a home that will be eager to give me lots of interactive play time and lots of things to occupy my time when I'm home alone. My feline-ality is "Executive". I have to say, I'm a busy cat. First, I've got to check out what's happening out the window. Next, I'll see if any closets or cupboards need looking into. And then there are my naps ? can't be late for those. I can fit a little socializing into my schedule. Shall we plan on breakfast and dinner? I hope you like kibbles.
My name is Starburst and I am a 10 year old female. I am a beautiful lady that's looking for a home where I can have quiet times sleeping in the sun, but also have playtime with a new human best friend. I would prefer to live with adults only, and no other cats. My feline-ality is "Executive". I have to say, I'm a busy cat. First, I've got to check out what's happening out the window. Next, I'll see if any closets or cupboards need looking into. And then there are my naps ? can't be late for those. I can fit a little socializing into my schedule. Shall we plan on breakfast and dinner? I hope you like kibbles.
My name is Bandit and I am a 12 year old senior looking for a new friend to snuggle. My feline-ality is "Personal Assistant". You're working on the computer? Let me press the keys. Reading the paper? I'll hold the pages down for you. Watching TV? I'll just plop in your lap so you can pet me. I love an orderly household, don't you? I'll help you with all your chores, and I'll help you relax when we're done. You'll wonder how you ever managed without me.
Hi! My name is Twinkle and I am a 3 year old female. I am an outgoing and social lady looking for my next partner in crime - I think we could have great fun together. My feline-ality is "Leader of the Band". I'm a cat who does everything in a big way. I not only like to be in the middle of things - I like to lead the parade. I'm an adventurous cat, but I'll still make plenty of time to show you my affectionate side. I'm the demonstrative type, you might say. Want a cat who's brimming with confidence? That's me.
My name is Lil Miss and I am a 2 year old female. I am a playful and social girl looking for a new family to make my life complete. My feline-ality is "Personal Assistant". You're working on the computer? Let me press the keys. Reading the paper? I'll hold the pages down for you. Watching TV? I'll just plop in your lap so you can pet me. I love an orderly household, don't you? I'll help you with all your chores, and I'll help you relax when we're done. You'll wonder how you ever managed without me.
- Rep. Corvese Introduces Legislation to Create Registry for Animal Abusers
- Raimondo’s Budget Proposal & PawSox Legislation: This Week at the State House
- RISPCA’s Warzycha Working On Cold Weather & Sale of Puppies Legislation
- Ruggerio on LIVE: I’m Open to Revised PawSox Legislation
- “Red Flag” Legislation Will be Taken Up in Coming Weeks, Says Mattiello on LIVE
- Regunberg Introduces Legislation to Increase Access to State House
- LIVE: Regunberg on Single-Payer Legislation & Addressing High Costs of Prescription Drugs
- Lt. Gov. McKee Introduces Legislation to Improve Emergency Preparation
- Legislation Regarding New PawSox Stadium to be Heard Tuesday
- Doyle Steps Down, Senate Finance Passes PawSox Legislation: This Week at the State House
- LIVE: Raptakis on PawSox Vote, Line-Item Veto Legislation, and More
- Drilling Offshore is Denounced, Drug Induced Homicide Legislation: This Week at the State House
- RI ACLU Issues 14 Page Analysis Expressing “Great Concern” Over Red Flag Legislation
- Red Flag and Bump Stock Ban Legislation Passes the RI House of Representatives
- CharterCare CEO Holiver to Testify on Legislation Regarding Hospital Conversion Act
- RI Self-Defense Alliance’s Wynne on Gun Legislation at Rhode Island State House
- RI Religious Leaders to Urge Support for Gun Legislation Over Mother’s Day Weekend
- Weiss: Trump Signs Legislation to Undo Nation’s Banking Rules
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Bento: Keeping Watch on New PawSox Legislation
- UPDATED: Mattiello to Push Legislation to Force Ethics Comm to Post Financial Disclosure Online
- Horowitz: Parkland May Break Gun Legislation Stalemate
- Massive Crowds Turn Out for Gun Legislation Hearings at State House
- Self-Sealing Tires & Gun Legislation: This Week at the State House
- 911 Legislation, I-195 Project & More: This Week at the State House
- General Assembly Approves Red Flag Legislation, Bump Stocks Ban