RI Favorites – Providence Budget Crisis
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
A series of other reports on questionable spending in the city budget followed, including reports that Providence fire chiefs had earned $400,000 in unauthorized benefits and that the Fire Department had racked up nearly $9 million in overtime costs—an increase of $1 million in a two-year period. GoLocalProv also broke the story that two fire chiefs had taken demotions in order to receiver more generous retirement benefits—the outrage this story sparked and the immediate intervention of Taveras points to the impact our reporting on the city’s fiscal crisis has had on public opinion and debate.
- Auditor: ‘There’s no question the city will run out of money’
- Taveras to Unions: City in Dire Financial Straits
- $32M Cost for Unused Sick and Vacation Time
- Cost in the Millions: Unused Sick, Vacation Time Threaten City Budget
- Extra Vacation Time Costs Providence Nearly $500,000
- Providence Fire Bosses Earn an Extra $400,000 in Benefits
- Firefighter Overtime Pay Is Almost $9 Million
- NEW: Taveras Asks Chief to Rescind Demotions
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.