slides: Rhode Island’s Best Hospitals - New US Ranking
Saturday, July 20, 2013
Women and Infants ranked second in the Providence metropolitan area. Newport Hospital and Rhode Island Hospital tied for third with the Southcoast Hospitals Group in Fall River, MA.
Earlier this year, GoLocal released an exclusive report as to how patients ranked all the hospitals in New England.
The rankings – now in their 24th year – are based on objective measures of hospital performance including reputation, patient safety, procedure volume, nurse staffing, mortality index and availability of medical technology. The full report and methodology are available at http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.
Only 15 percent of hospitals are recognized for their high performance as among their region’s best, and just 3 percent of all hospitals earn a national ranking in any specialty.
Hospitals React to Rankings
“Lifespan is pleased to have its three acute care hospitals – The Miriam Hospital, Rhode Island Hospital and Newport Hospital – recognized in the regional ranking of U.S. News & World Report’s top hospitals list,” said Timothy J. Babineau, M.D., president and CEO of Lifespan. “We believe this recognition underscores the care our hospitals provide to patients throughout our region. It also reinforces our continued commitment to providing exemplary care to our patients.”
Arthur J. Sampson, President of The Miriam Hospital, spoke to the ranking. “Being recognized as the region’s top hospital for the second year in a row is a testament to the physicians, nurses, allied health professionals and staff whose commitment to excellence and quality allows us to provide outstanding, patient-centered care every single day. I’d like to congratulate the entire team at The Miriam Hospital on this well-deserved honor.”
Women and Infants similarly was honored by the distinction. "We are thrilled to be recognized by U.S. News & World Report for the excellence we achieve each day here at Women & Infants Hospital,” says Connie Howes, president and CEO of Women & Infants. “It is acknowledgement on a national level of the transformational, patient-centric work being conducted by physicians and staff here and the hospital’s preeminence in such areas as obstetrics, reproductive endocrinology, urogynecology and gynecologic oncology.”
Howes continued, "As for initiatives, we are currently expanding our Program in Women’s Oncology to give it a new Infusion Center with spacious, private rooms for integrative therapies designed to help women with cancer."
- What is Rhode Island’s Best Hospital? Take Our Exclusive Poll
- The Top 20 Hospitals in New England Rated By Patients
- Twitter Overrated for Helping Us Stay Healthy—RI Hospital Expert
- CHART: New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- RI Hospital One of Only ERs in US To Offer MRI Scans
- How RI Hospitals Ranked: NE’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- Methodology: New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- NEW: Women & Infants Named Top 100 Hospital For Women
- NEW: Bradley + Hasbro Hospitals Announce New Med/Psych Facility
- NEW: RI Hospital To Receive $10.8 Million for Joint Research
- NEW: RI Hospital Nursing Assistant Suspended for Sexual Assault