slides: Rhode Island Gubernatorial Portraits, 1775-2015
Friday, January 16, 2015
The official portrait of Governor Lincoln D. Chafee was presented to the State of Rhode Island at an event at the Rhode Island State House on Thursday, attended by the artist Julie Gearan and representatives from the Rhode Island State Council on the Arts. Gearan was chosen from among 124 artists entered a national search conducted by the State Arts Council.
State law requires that an official portrait be commissioned for each Governor before he or she leaves office. The fee for this commission is $15,000, the same fee paid for the official portrait of former governors Lincoln Almond and Donald Carcieri.
The work will now be turned over to the Rhode Island Department of Administration, which will be responsible for hanging the work among other gubernatorial portraits in the Rhode Island State House, with the advice of the Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission and the Rhode Island State House Restoration Society.
Check out over 200 years of official portraits in the slideshow below:
Related Slideshow: Rhode Island Gubernatorial Portraits, 1775-2015
Check out the slideshow of every existing portrait of Governors of Rhode Island, dating back to 1775.
There are no official portraits for John Collins (served 1786-1790), Henry Smith (served 1805-1806), Isaac Wilbour (served 1806-1807), Charles Jackson (served 1845-1846), and George P Wetmore (served 1885-1887).
- Chafee Announces $2.1 Million in Funding for Youth Summer Work
- Governor Chafee Condemns Providence Journal’s Rewrite of OpEd
- NEW: Chafee Orders RITBA to Dismantle Sakonnet Tolls
- NEW: Chafee Appoints Pisaturo to Chair the Rhode Island Parole Board
- LISTEN: RI GOP Wars Over Chafee-Fung Mailer Sent in 2010
- Russell Moore: A Modest Proposal to Governor Chafee
- Russ Moore: Chafee, Licht—Poster Boys for Old School Politics
- Chafee Blasts Critics Pushing for Default on 38 Studios Bonds
- Mayor Allan Fung Challenges Governor Chafee on 38 Studios
- NEW: Chafee Nominates Licht for Rhode Island Superior Court
- RI GOP Wars Over Chafee-Fung Mailer Sent in 2010
- Will Chafee Push RI Into Housing Undocumented Immigrant Children?
- Chafee Repays Unemployment Insurance Loans, Six Months Early
- Russell Moore: Is Raimondo Just a Smooth Lincoln Chafee?
- Grading the Chafee Administration
- One-on-One with Chafee: The Exit Interview
- Governor Chafee and DEM Announce $3.85 Million in Open Space Grants
- Fung Opposes Chafee Administration Pay Hikes
- Chafee Nominates 2 Council Chairs to Board of Education
- Chafee Confirms State Investigation into Caprio Beach Contract; Will Block FOIA Requests
- NEW: Fung Calls on Chafee to Rescind Caprio Beach Contract
- Chafee Mourns Passing of Former Congressman St. Germian
- Michael Riley: Trust Chafee? I Don’t Think So