Raimondo Says Armed School Resource Officers Should Be Determined by Communities
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
“When a 17-year-old gunman walked into Maryland's Great Mills High School on Tuesday, the swift action of the school's sole resource officer, Blaine Gaskill, was instrumental in bringing the incident to a quick end. Gaskill's response was hailed as an example of exactly what a resource officer is supposed to do in such a circumstance…’He responded exactly how we train our personnel to respond,’ St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron told reporters,’ according to CNN.
Raimondo’s spokesperson Josh Block said on Tuesday after the Maryland events concluded,”We need to work within each community to determine how best to keep students safe. If local communities determine that school resource officers are an appropriate part of their security plans, it is absolutely critical that the SROs get the training that’s necessary to respond to an emergency.”
“Governor Raimondo believes that schools should be places of learning, not prisons, and she also believes the answer to gun violence is not more guns in our schools. We need a statewide ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and we need to ensure every school has secure windows, doors that lock, and intercom systems that work,” said Block.
Last month Raimondo became the first governor in America to take executive action to establish a statewide 'red flag' policy to keep guns out of the hands of individuals who pose a danger to themselves and others. Since her signing ceremony, the executive order has come under fire from the ACLU and gun advocates who say the order is unenforceable and unconstitutional.
Related Slideshow: Top Gun Lobby Recipients - 2018
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Rhetoric Help Rein in Gun Violence?
- Fecteau: Talk About Gun Violence
- LIVE: What Rhode Island is Doing About Gun Violence
- “Active Shooter” Training Blasted by Rhode Island Gun Control Advocate
- Guest MINDSETTER™ DiPersio: Domestic Violence Demands Gun Control Legislation
- RI General Assembly Approves Legislation Prohibiting Gun Possession by Domestic Abusers
- Providence Man Arrested on Gun & Child Abuse Charges
- LIVE: Moms Demand Action on Gun & Domestic Violence Legislation in Rhode Island
- Mental Health Measures Approved & Hearing on Gun Bills: This Week at the State House
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stewart: Local Progressives Aiming Gun at Own Foot, Will They Pull Trigger?
- East Siders Hit by BB Gun Drive By - Part of a National Trend?
- Dominican National Indicted on Multiple Drug & Gun Charges
- RI Newspaper Publishes Full-Page Gun Ad on Eve of Sandy Hook Anniversary UPDATED
- Cranston City Council to Introduce Plan to Protect Students From Gun Violence
- Raimondo Invested in Funds That Owned Gun Company Stocks While Treasurer
- Horowitz: Parkland May Break Gun Legislation Stalemate
- Massive Crowds Turn Out for Gun Legislation Hearings at State House
- LIVE: RI Coalition Against Gun Violence’s Finn On Banning Assault Weapons
- Raimondo Refuses to Return Campaign Donations from Gun Lobbyist
- Whitcomb: Superman Teardown? CT’s Tough Gun Laws Seem to Work; Puppy Parties
- LIVE: Rep. Ranglin-Vassell on Need for Community Response to Joblessness & Gun Violence in RI
- RI’s Top Elected Officials Who Take the Most Gun Lobby Money
- Rickman’s The Big View: The Outrageous American Gun Problem
- Self-Sealing Tires & Gun Legislation: This Week at the State House
- Carol Anne Costa: Money, Guns + Lawmakers
- Young Guns Lift Brown Over Dartmouth
- NEW: Mayor Taveras Joins National Coalition Against Illegal Guns
- MA Firearm Instructors: Protect Schools With Guns, Legalize Assault Rifles
- RI State Report: Guns, Early Bird Liquor + Chafee’s Image Problem
- Timothy Jones: RI Should Focus on Fixing Economy, Not Banning Guns
- PODCAST: Guns on RI Campuses. Who is Armed?
- Guns, Healthcare, & Sick Days: Economic Progress Institute’s Flum on Why Assembly Needs to Return
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Etiquette of the Trump Family Crests, Guns + Children
- Rickman’s Big View: Time to Act to Control Guns in America
- Rickman’s Big View - Guns, Guns and More Guns
- LIVE: Providence Teachers Union Head Blasts Trump’s Guns in Schools Proposal
- Moore: Hotel Tax Hike is a Bandaid on a Gunshot Wound
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Race, Cops, Guns; for More Ferries; Political Americana in Vt
- Guns on RI Campuses. Who is Armed?
- Over 1300 Gunshots Reported in Providence in Past Two Years
- Stiffer Campaign Finance Laws, Addressing Guns and Domestic Violence: This Week at the Statehouse
- Fecteau: Guns are the Problem
- Progressive Dem & RI Senate Candidate Bell on Guns, Medicaid, PawSox, Taxes, & Marijuana