Raimondo Issues Statement After Federal Court Judge Strikes Down Obamacare
Saturday, December 15, 2018
Yesterday's ruling in Texas is dangerous, destructive and threatens the health care coverage of thousands of Rhode Islanders, particularly those with preexisting conditions who rely on the ACA's essential consumer protections. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, Rhode Island has one of the lowest uninsured rates in the country, and HealthSource RI offers among the lowest premiums in the country. I will continue to stand up for access to affordable, high-quality healthcare for all Rhode Islanders and will take all steps necessary to protect the ACA."
Rhode Island's exchange, HealthSource RI, remains open for business. Open enrollment is underway until Dec. 31. Individuals and families have until Dec. 23 to enroll for uninterrupted coverage starting January 1, 2019.
"In his ruling, Judge Reed O’Connor of the Federal District Court in Fort Worth said that the individual mandate requiring people to have health insurance “can no longer be sustained as an exercise of Congress’s tax power,” as reported by the New York Times.
"The ruling was over a lawsuit filed this year by a group of Republican governors and state attorneys general. A group of intervening states led by Democrats promised to appeal the decision, which will most likely not have any immediate effect. But it will almost certainly make its way to the Supreme Court, threatening the survival of the landmark health law and, with it, health coverage for millions of Americans, protections for people with pre-existing conditions and much more."
- Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Horowitz: Obamacare; Going Strong on 5 Year Anniversary
- UnitedHealth Group to Leave Markets Participating in Obamacare
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: EU, Newport NIMBYs, and Obamacare
- Health Care Premiums to Rise Under Obamacare in 2017
- Smart Benefits: Obamacare vs RI Exchange- Which Enrollment Approach Worked Best?
- Smart Benefits: Obamacare Exchanges: Enrollment Expectations
- Smart Benefits: Obamacare Extends Sign-Up for Exchanges… Again
- Horowitz: Obamacare - Here to Stay and on the Right Track
- Obamacare Implications of Medical Marijuana in Rhode Island
- Fecteau: Stop This Frivolous War on Obamacare
- RI Ranked 4th Most Affected State by Repeal of Obamacare
- DC Consultant & RI Native Sullivan on Trump’s Transgender Tweets, Obamacare “Skinny Repeal”
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Gardiner: Republicans Would Ride a Trojan Horse to Repeal Obamacare
- Horowitz: Do the Right Thing - Fix Obamacare
- Healthcare Expert Mulligan Gives Insights Into the Success and Failures of Obamacare
- Horowitz: Obamacare Still Standing Despite Trump’s Best Efforts
- Obamacare Would Get a “C” and Trumpcare is in Peril, Says PC’s Prof. Hackey
- LIVE: Follow the Money - RI Native & DC Consultant Sullivan on Obamacare Repeal
- Horowitz: Obamacare Ain’t Easy to Kill
- Cicilline Calls GOP’s Obamacare Replacement Bill a “Disaster”
- Average Providence Resident to Do Better Under Trumpcare than Obamacare Says New Study
- Moore: Twin River’s Labor Strife Highlights Obamacare’s Weakness