Raimondo Announces 4th Annual Governor for a Day Essay Contest
Friday, March 02, 2018
The contest asks 5th to 8th-grade girls to answer the question, “What would you do as Rhode Island's Governor for a day?"
"Every day I talk with girls and young women, and I'm constantly inspired by how civically engaged and motivated they are. There's never been a more important time to make sure young women know that their ideas--and their futures--are limitless. I can't wait to read the amazing essays and meet our 2018 Governor for a Day,” said Raimondo.
Interested in Applying
Interested applicants should apply by March 16, 2018, and answer the question in 400 words or fewer.
Students should submit the following information along with their essay:
- Home Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Teacher's Contact Information
- Parent or Guardian Name(s)
Applicants may email their essays as an attachment to [email protected]. Google documents will not be accepted.
Or they may mail their essays to:
"Governor for a Day" Essay Contest
c/o Governor's Communications Office
82 Smith Street, Room 110
Providence, RI 02903
The winner will be announced at the end of March, and will be "sworn in" as Rhode Island's Governor for a Day in April.
She will meet with Governor Raimondo and other female elected officials.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Raimondo and Mattiello Back-to-Back on LIVE - Talk PawSox, Partners Health, and $1B for Schools
- Friday on LIVE: Gov. Raimondo, Speaker Mattiello, Receiver Del Sesto
- Raimondo Reverses Course on Investing in Home Care at Peril to RI - Oliver & Ellison
- Projo’s Bogdan Leaves Paper for Raimondo’s Office - Second Reporter in Two Weeks to Quit
- Raimondo Announces Details of Municipal Technical Assistance Program
- Big Thursday and Friday on GoLocal LIVE - Raimondo, Mattiello, and Pryor
- Raimondo’s Budget Proposal & PawSox Legislation: This Week at the State House
- RI School Committees’ Duffy on Challenges Facing Level-Funded Education in Raimondo FY19 Budget
- R.W. Alley: “Raimondo’s Budget Balancing Act”
- Riley: Raimondo‘s Confused Tax Reform Priorities
- Raimondo Raises More Over $570k for Quarter, Account Tops $3.3M
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo Denial of Ties to NRA Money - “We Call BS”
- Raimondo Refuses to Return Campaign Donations from Gun Lobbyist
- 65% of RIers Support Raimondo’s $250M Bond, Says Bryant’s Hassenfeld Institute Poll
- NEW: RI GOP Blasts Ethics Commission for “Making Excuses for Raimondo”
- VIDEO: Raimondo Doubles-Down on Denying Gun-Lobby Money, Despite Repeated Donations
- Raimondo Shuffles Press Office in Prep for 2018 Campaign
- Raimondo Orders U.S., RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff to Honor Victims of Parkland School Shooting
- Raimondo Drops in New Poll — Favorability Now 40%
- Sasse Says Governor Raimondo’s Bond Requests of $368.5 Are Too Rich for RI
- R.W. Alley: “Raimondo -They Love Me”
- RI Republican Party Files Ethics Complaint Against Raimondo
- Raimondo Invested in Funds That Owned Gun Company Stocks While Treasurer