Providence Police Add Two New Police Dogs to K9 Unit
Monday, February 27, 2017
“In the short time our new K9s have been on the street they have already proven to be a valuable resource to the department and all of the officers working a shift with them. With less manpower, our officers are able to utilize these K9s to search in a faster, safer, more accurate manner than they would on their own. I look forward to the continued success of K9s Jimbo and Ripp as well as the other members of our highly respected K9 Unit,” said Colonel Clements.
Providence Police now have a total of four dogs on the force.
K9s Ripp and Jimbo join K9 Kyra and partner Officer Lincoln Sisson and K9 Gero and partner Officer Louis Salinaro.
K9 Ripp and K9 Jimbo completed the 12-week K9 patrol training school at the Rhode Island K9 Academy, led by Master Trainer Sgt. Roger Reardon (RISP, Ret.), which certified them in areas of article search and tracking.
They are currently in their 3rd week of explosive and firearm detection training school which is also held at the Rhode Island K9 Academy.
K9 Ripp is an 18-month old German Shepard and he and Officer Chabot work the out last shift (11:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.) in the North End of the city.
During K9 Ripp’s first days on duty, he and Officer Chabot arrested a suspect wanted for larceny and also recovered a stolen car. K9 Ripp was able to trace a sent from the stolen car and began a search for the subject wanted for operating it.
K9 Ripp then led Officer Chabot to the wanted suspect who was hiding under a pickup truck and he was arrested.
K9 Jimbo’s partner is Officer Daniel Sirignano, a 9-year veteran of the Providence Police Department.
K9 Jimbo is also an 18-month old German Shepard and he and Officer Sirignano work the out first shift (3:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.) in the West End of the city.
Shortly after Officer Sirignano and K9 Jimbo graduated from patrol school they actively worked performing building searches at breaking and entering scenes where subjects fled prior to police arrival, and also performed several article searches for evidence after a crime was committed.
During one of the searches K9 Jimbo found a set of keys that a suspect discarded after leaving a car.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Pets in Need of Loving Homes - February 21, 2017
Meet, Noel! This adorable, bundle of energy is looking for the perfect human to call her best friend! We're thinking this beauty is about 6 yrs old. Come and check her out today!
Hello! I'm Roxy. I am a sweet, loving girl looking for her forever home. If you think you're the right fit for me ~ call my friends up at PARL!
It's me, Mario! I'm an energetic love bug with a big personality. I'm around 7 months old, so if you're looking for a pup with a fresh start and the desire to learn, I'm your guy! I can't wait to find 'my person' and begin a life of new adventures. Ask a staff member about me today!
My name is Cash. I love playing with balls and ropes and plushies and people. I just lovveeee to play! Probably because I'm a puppy and that's what puppies do. I am still learning my manners so I am told I will need some training to grow up and be the best dog ever. Do you want to come meet me? I am always looking for more playmates!
Hello everyone- my name is Cheyenne! I am a sweet little lady looking for a fur-ever home. I am looking for a home that has lots of tug toys because I LOVE to play tug. If you think that I'm cute (I mean who wouldn't...) come by and meet me!
My name is Lucy and I am a 5-year-old front-declawed female. I am a social and funny girl that loves to hang out in my cozy bed. My feline-ality is "sidekick". Like all sidekicks, I'm just plain good company. I like attention, and I also like my solitude. I don't go looking for trouble but I'm no scaredy-cat, either. If you are looking for a steady companion to travel with you on the road of life, look no further.
My name is Bucky and I am a 3 year old male. I am an outgoing and affectionate guy that loves to get and give affection. My feline-ality is "Leader of the Band". I'm a cat who does everything in a big way. I not only like to be in the middle of things - I like to lead the parade. I'm an adventurous cat, but I'll still make plenty of time to show you my affectionate side. I'm the demonstrative type, you might say. Want a cat who's brimming with confidence? That's me.
My name is Squeakers and I am a 7 year old female. I am a beautiful and sensitive girl that is looking for a nice comfortable spot to spend my days with my favorite person. My feline-ality is "Private Investigator". I'm working undercover to keep an eye on you and your household. You may not even know you're under surveillance. I can vanish into thin air if anyone or anything interferes with my investigation. If you need a cat who knows how to stay out of trouble and will always keep your secrets, I just might take your case.
My name is Tab and I am a 4 year old male. I am an outgoing and social guy that loves to keep very busy and I'm always ready for a snack. My feline-ality is "Leader of the Band". I'm a cat who does everything in a big way. I not only like to be in the middle of things - I like to lead the parade. I'm an adventurous cat, but I'll still make plenty of time to show you my affectionate side. I'm the demonstrative type, you might say. Want a cat who's brimming with confidence? That's me.
My name is Daisy and I am an 8 year old female. I am a beautiful senior girl that would love to be your one and only fur baby. My feline-ality is "Leader of the Band". I'm a cat who does everything in a big way. I not only like to be in the middle of things - I like to lead the parade. I'm an adventurous cat, but I'll still make plenty of time to show you my affectionate side. I'm the demonstrative type, you might say. Want a cat who's brimming with confidence? That's me.
- Providence Police at City Hall Following Bomb Threat Friday Morning
- NEW: Photos of SUV in Fatal Hit-and-Run Released by Providence Police
- Providence Police: 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015
- Providence Police Sergeant Saves Man From Jumping Off Henderson Bridge
- NEW: North Providence Police Union Votes No Confidence in Acting Chief
- Breaking: Providence Police Evacuate Westminster Street—Possible Bomb Threat
- NEW: Providence Police Seek Suspect in Child Abduction
- NEW: Providence Police Investigating Hate Crime on East Side
- Rally for Black Major in Providence Police Department at City Hall Today
- Rep. Almeida Joins Movement for Black Major in Providence Police
- Don Roach: Don’t Force Diversity on the Providence Police Department
- NEW: Three Protesters Chained to Textron Building Arrested by Providence Police
- Ret. Providence Police Officer Killed Wife and Stuffed Her in Trunk
- Who’s Investigating Providence Police Beating Caught on Tape?
- Providence Police Supervisor Arrested for Allegedly Drunkenly Spitting in Face of 17-Year- Old Girl
- FBI, State Police, and Providence Police Search for Escaped Alleged Murderer
- No Action by Providence Police on Beating Video, Two Months Later
- Discrepancies Between Providence Police Beating Video and Police Report
- Community Leaders React to Providence Police Officer Beating Woman
- Former Providence Police Chief Esserman Gets No-Confidence Vote in New Haven
- Cicilline Ally Pichardo Overrules Providence Police, Reopens The Vault After Shooting
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Providence Police Caught on Tape Beating Woman
- GoLocalTV: NAACP’s Jim Vincent Condemns Providence Police Action
- ACLU Calls for Answers Before Providence Police Deploy Body Cameras