PowerPlayer: Providence Mayor Angel Taveras
Monday, April 25, 2011
1) Congratulations on your first 100 days as mayor. What's the single most important decision you've made?
Choosing my team has been the most important decision I have made. I am fortunate to have a team that includes Michael D'Amico, Steve Pare, JR Pagliarini, and Melissa Withers, just to name a few.
2) Take us through a day in your life.
I get up early, read e-mails and scan the media. I usually grab a bagel for breakfast on my way to City Hall. Many mornings begin with a meeting or event, so I am usually in full swing by 8 a.m. Days are an interesting mix of heavy business and really enjoyable visits to schools, community organizations and businesses. Once a month, I commit a whole day to working within a city department. Thus far, I've spent days with DPW, firefighters, in schools, and this month I spent the day with the Parks Department. My staff is good at patiently waiting to grab time with me in between meetings. Most nights I have a full agenda of events and activities to keep me busy. On an easy night, I'll get dinner around 8 or 9 p.m. and try to catch up on e-mails or watch the Sox before going to bed.
3) We've got a budget crisis, struggling schools, and a little bit of a pothole problem. Give us a reason to be hopeful about the City of Providence.
We have such an amazing community of people, full of diversity and enthusiasm for Providence. Providence has been around for 375 years and has time and again shown its resiliency. There's not a day that goes by that I don't see the silver lining. Spring is dawning and better days are ahead.
4) What's your favorite part of the job?
Meeting children and letting them know that if I grew up and became mayor, they can too.
5) Tell us something nobody knows about you.
I played the violin until 5th grade. (Unfortunately, my violin was stolen when I was a student at Roger Williams Middle School and that was the end of that.)
Role Model: My sister, who is a nurse at the National Institutes of Health.
Favorite Restaurant: Pane e Vino, Gregg’s and La Roca
Best Beach: Galilee
Best Book You've Read In The Last Year: Game Change
Advice For The Next Angel Taveras: Stay grounded and always remember that you work for the people of Providence.
if you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- BREAKING NEWS Taveras Orders Review of City Finances
- BREAKING NEWS: Taveras Defends His Decision to Fire Teachers
- BREAKING NEWS: Taveras Imposes Furloughs for Non-Union Staff
- BREAKING NEWS: Taveras Outlines Budget Rescue Plan
- EXCLUSIVE: Taveras - More Bad News To Come
- GoLocalProv Exclusive Interview: Taveras Promises to End Budget Deficit
- Is Taveras Right to Fire All the Providence Teachers?
- Mayors Give Advice to Taveras
- Mayor Taveras Drops Everything to Read
- NEW: Providence Teachers Union Boss Calls on Taveras to Rescind Firing
- NEW: Taveras on Potholes - We’re Working on It
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.