PowerPlayer: Jack Templin
Monday, March 28, 2011
GoLocalProv caught up with Templin to find out what else this PowerPlayer has been up to in recent months.
1) You're the co-founder of Betaspring, which recently caught the eye of President Obama. How is Betaspring impacting the state?
My - obviously biased - perspective is that Betaspring has been and will continue to be a key catalyst and component in Rhode Island’s burgeoning start-up ecosystem.
Every year we’re graduating promising startups like Dijipop, NuLabel, Tracelytics, and Manpacks - just to name a few. These talented entrepreneurs go on to raise (much) more investment money, hire employees, and contribute to the local economy in a myriad of ways.
If any GoLocalProv readers are interested, the application deadline for this summer’s Betaspring class is right around the corner - April 1st.
My primary focus these days is Lockify - an Internet security start-up I co-founded with my brother Chris. We’re currently in private beta - simultaneously readying the service for public release this summer and raising our angel investment round.
The rest of my days (and nights) I’m working with Allan Tear and Owen Johnson on Betaspring, running Providence Geeks with Brian Jepson, and doing various board work including the PEDP, AS220, and now, the RIEDC.
3) You were recently named to the EDC. How can Rhode Island become more business friendly?
At its core business is about innovation and entrepreneurialism – characteristics that are also at the core of Rhode Island - its history, its people. We need to cultivate, embrace, and support our innovators and entrepreneurs.
4) What's the most difficult/disappointing part of your job?
Like so many folks today, I’m finding that the world is changing amazingly quickly. (It’s probably amplified some for me, as most of my work is in the particularly fast-accelerating Internet world.) Both the opportunities and challenges are immense. It’s an incredibly exciting time, but it can also sometimes be overwhelming.
5) If you could change one thing about the state, what would it be?
The self-defeating psyche many of our fellow citizens - both native and transplants - have about our state. It’s not productive, interesting or attractive.
6) Tell us something nobody knows about you.
My partner Jen and I recently got a Boerboel - South African Mastiff – puppy named Ruthie. “Ru” is my first dog since I was a small kid. I’m nuts about her.
Favorite Restaurant: Ivy Tavern (cheap date)
Best Beach: I’m not a big beach guy. I like Colt State Park quite a bit.
Best Book You’ve Read In The Last Year: I wish.
Advice For The Next Jack Templin: Be better organized than this Jack Templin.
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Betaspring Founders Allan Tear, Owen Johnson & Jack Templin
- Betaspring Tapped by White House to Drive National Innovation
- EDC Issues $23M in Loans and Bonds to Local Businesses
- Four New EDC Board Members Named