NEW: Zainyeh to Leave Chafee Office
Friday, January 31, 2014
“George has brought strong leadership to my administration with his management of all state agencies and staff, and demonstrated ability to build coalitions in state government,” Governor Chafee said. “I wish George all of the best. I know he will succeed in all future endeavors.”
“I want to thank Governor Chafee for the opportunity to serve the people of Rhode Island as his Chief of Staff,” Zainyeh said. “I appreciate the dedication and commitment of the Governor’s office and departments. It was a pleasure to work with them.”
One of GoLocal's 12 to Watch in 2012, Zainyeh was tapped as the Governor's Chief of Staff at the end of 2011 to replace then-outgoing Chief of Staff Patrick Rogers.
A three-time State Representative, Zainyeh served as Deputy Majority Leader while in the General Assembly. Zainyeh was Congressman Patrick Kennedy's Chief of Staff and District Director for nine years.
Zainyeh previously served as Chief Strategy Officer for Family Service of Rhode Island, one of the state’s oldest and largest non-profit human service agencies. In addition to his service in the Rhode Island House and with Congressman Kennedy, Zainyeh was Vice President for Strategic Initiatives for the Princeton Review and the American Cancer Society’s Director of Government Relations and Advocacy for Rhode Island.
A graduate of Bishop Hendricken High School, he earned a B.A. and M.S. (Labor & Industrial Relations) from the University of Rhode Island.
Related Slideshow: Is Clay Pell the Next Lincoln Chafee?
Privileged bloodlines, prestigious prep schools, lofty political ambitions. Is Clay Pell the next Lincoln Chafee?
Below is a look at the similarities -- and differences -- between Governor Lincoln Chafee and likely gubernatorial aspirant Clay Pell.
Family Legacy - Chafee
Lincoln Chafee is the son of John Chafee, the former Governor of Rhode Island, U.S. Senator, and Secretary of the Navy, who was a decorated WWII and Korean War Veteran, and posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Named in his honor include the USS Chafee (DDG-90), the John H. Chafee Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor and the John H. Chafee National Wildlife Refuge.
Family Legacy - Pell
Grandfather Claiborne Pell was Rhode Island's longest serving Senator, having served six terms from 1961 to 1997, whose legacy includes the Pell Grant, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
A decorated coast guard lieutenant in WWII and foreign service officer, Pell's Rhode Island legacy includes the Newport Bridge being renamed the Claiborne Pell Bridge, as well as the Pell Center of International Relations and Public Policy established at Salve Regina University.
Money - Chafee
Both Chafees and Senator Pell had to disclose as members of the U.S. Senate personal financial information -- and both a considerable net worth.
The U.S. Senate is known as the U.S. Millionaires Club -- in 2005, while Chafee was still in the Senate, Open Secrets pegged Chafee's wealth at between $40 and $63 million dollars.
Money - Pell
The website Celebrity Net Worth puts wife Michelle Kwan's personal wealth at $8 million.
While Pell's first campaign finance report has yet to be made public, records show Pell gave Democratic challenger Gina Raimondo $250 during her bid for General Treasurer in 2010.
Education - Pell
Early Career -- Chafee
He was Warwick's mayor in 1992 until 1999, when he was appointed to the U.S. Senate in 1999 when his father passed away while in office.
Wife - Chafee
Wife - Pell
A decorated Olympic figure skater and world champion, Michelle Kwan went on to pursue a career in public service, serving as an American Public Diplomacy Envoy as well as on the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports -- and was recently inducted into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame.
- Arthur Schaper: An Anti-Tribute To RI Gov. Lincoln Chafee
- Leading Political Experts Analyze Chafee’s Decision
- Rob Horowitz: Chafee Takes Himself Out of the Game Too Soon
- Arthur Schaper: Chafee’s Budget – A Pie in the Sky Dream
- Moore: Legislature Working To Fix Chafee Administration Blunder
- Chafee Announces New Internship Partnership To Keep Students in RI
- NEW: RI Gov Chafee Calls for Talk Show Host DePetro to be Fired
- NEW: Chafee to Call State House Tree “Christmas Tree” This Year
- Chafee’s Budget Calls for Big Borrowing and Sparks Reaction
- Russell Moore: Chafee Should Pursue Bold Economic Reforms
- NEW: DePetro’s Attorney Blasts Governor Chafee
- Chafee’s Budget: Economic Development and Job Creation
- Swipely CEO Charges Chafee Admin with Cronyism on No-Bid Contract
- NEW: Hunsinger Leaves Chafee Office, Zuckerman New Press Secretary
- Chafee’s Budget: Education
- The Scoop: Chafee’s Push for Green Cars, Big Grants for RI; More
- PODCAST: Chafee’s Budget Calls for Big Borrowing + Sparks Reaction
- Chafee’s Budget: Healthcare and Social Services
- Who is More Polarizing? Chafee or DePetro
- PODCAST: Is Clay Pell the Next Lincoln Chafee?
- Chafee’s Budget: Taxes
- Is Clay Pell the Next Lincoln Chafee?
- RI State Report: Chafee Out + Budget Surpluses