NEW: Weekend Storm Intensifying, Could Bring More Snow To RI
Friday, February 15, 2013
The weather forecasting models waffled most of this week over whether we’d be seeing any snow this weekend. Now that the weekend is upon us, the consensus is growing that we have the potential for a significant storm … mainly Saturday night into Sunday.
The potential for a major snowstorm
Once again it is another one of those situations where everything has to come together perfectly to create an intense storm, located in the ideal place to bring us a major snowstorm. Again, I have to caution that many things can go wrong (or right, depending on your point of view) and the storm could develop too far out to sea, thus snowing on the fish and not Southern New England.
It looks like we should have some light snow or snow and rain showers as a cold front moves through the area on Saturday. As the front moves offshore a disturbance should develop on the front. It is that intensifying storm that has the potential to bring several inches of snow mainly to Eastern New England, Rhode Island included, later Saturday night and Sunday. If the storm forms too far east of us, the heavier snow potential will fizzle. With the cold front still very far to our west, it is far too early to have any certainty on the whole situation.
More updates will follow as more data comes in and the time frame narrows.
- AM WEATHER UPDATE: Blizzard Watch Expands—Hitting RI Friday AM
- The Blizzard of ‘13 Hits Providence
- GoLocal’s Readers’ Rhode Island Blizzard Photos
- NEW: Brown University to Cancel Classes Friday Due to Blizzard
- NEW: Providence Restaurants That Are OPEN During the Blizzard
- The Ultimate Rhode Island Blizzard Survival Kit
- PM WEATHER UPDATE: Blizzard Watch For RI, 1-2 Feet of Snow
- New England Meteorologists’ Blizzard Forecasts—Who Will Be Right?
- PM WEATHER UPDATE: Blizzard’s Most Intense Part Hitting RI Soon
- AM WEATHER UDPATE: The Blizzard of ‘13 Not Over—Prepare For More Snow
- PM WEATHER UPDATE: RI’s Blizzard Watch Upgraded to Warning
- AM WEATHER UPDATE: Blizzard May Bring Up to 3 Feet of Snow
- Retailers Lose Two of Their Biggest Days to Blizzard