NEW: Warwick Named Safest Major City in Rhode Island
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
CQ Press' ranking of 432 cities in the US with 75,000 population or greater ranked Warwick at #46 nationally. Following Warwick was Cranston at #90, making it the #2 safest major city in Rhode Island.
What about Providence?
Providence, the only other RI city with a population high enough to be considered by the ranking, was not included for 2013 because of a change in reporting that made its numbers ineligible for comparison. A number of cities were omitted for technical reasons such as this one.
The least--and most--crime-ridden cities
The nation's safest city--that with the lowest crime rate--was Fishers, IN, followed by Johns Creek, GA at #2, O'Fallon, MO at #3, Carmel, IN at #4, and Newton, MA at #5.
The nation's cities with the worst crime rates were Oakland, CA at #428, St. Louis, MO at #429, Flint, MI at #430, Detroit, Mi at #431, and in last place, Camden, NJ at #432.
To be included in the comparative analysis, cities and metro areas must report data for six crime categories: murder, rape robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft. All metro areas and all cities with populations of 75,000 or more that reported crime data to the FBI were included. To learn more about the methodology, go here.
- Crime in Providence: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Crime on the Rise in Providence
- Dan Lawlor: Providence Shouldn’t be a Crime Scene
- Do You Think Crime in Providence Has Gotten Worse?
- FBI Report: Crime on the Rise in Providence
- Gay Advocates Protest Veto of Hate Crimes Bill
- Hard Crime: Rhode Island’s Most Wanted List
- NEW: Kilmartin Calls for Increasing the Crime Victims Fund Cap to $1 Billion
- State House Report: Schools, Crime & the Developmentally Disabled
- Where Does Providence Rank Nationally in Crime
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.