NEW: UNAP Files Unfair Labor Practice Charges Against RI Hospital
Thursday, August 09, 2018
In the charges, UNAP claims that Rhode Island Hospital was “implementing unilateral changes to a number of workplace conditions that are subject to collective bargaining.”
"After the recent work action and lockout ended, Lifespan unlawfully instituted unilateral and punitive changes to employee terms and conditions of employment and deliberately targeted members of the collective bargaining unit who freely exercised their protected right to strike. These aggressive, retaliatory measures were adopted as a means to threaten and intimidate union members and Lifespan management should be embarrassed by its boorish behavior," said UNAP general counsel Chris Callaci.
The charges were filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
According to their press release, UNAP contends that Lifespan initiated illegal call-off procedures when it prevented a number of union members from returning to work immediately after the lockout ended on July 27, at 3:00 p.m.
Additionally, the hospital denied at least one vacation request of a Local 5098 bargaining team member who has been an outspoken critic of Lifespan's policies.
A similar request for vacation was approved for at least one other employee who has not been part of the negotiating process.
RI Dept. of Health, RI Hospital Consent Agreement - June 2018
- Care New England, UNAP Reach Agreement to Keep up to 200 Healthcare Jobs at Memorial
- UNAP’s Callaci: Union Lawsuit Prompted Action on Saving Memorial Jobs
- UPDATED: Man Arrested for Stealing $109K from UNAP of RI’s Training Program
- UNAP Members to Protest Outside of Memorial Hospital on Monday
- UNAP Calls Care New England’s Effort to Close Memorial Hospital Intensive Care “Irreponsible”
- Unknown and unappreciated? CCRI’s quest for the “big time”
- UNAP, Elected Leaders to Urge Health Dept. to Halt Memorial Hospital Closings
- UNAP Issues Statement Following Lawsuit Filed in St. Joseph’s Pension Collapse
- UNAP Nurses at RI Hospital Vote ‘No Confidence’ in Babineau and Van Bree
- DeRobbio Questions City of Providence Leadership in Lifespan-UNAP Battle, on LIVE
- UNAP Members Vote Down Lifespan Contract Offer at RI Hospital—Will Issue 10 Day Strike Notice
- UNAP Members Issue 10 Day Strike Notice to RI Hospital
- UNAP to Picket Outside of Rhode Island Hospital on Monday