Trump’s VP — RI Retired General Flynn is Now a Leading Candidate
Sunday, July 10, 2016
Flynn grew up in Middletown and is a grad of the University of Rhode Island.
“Donald Trump is increasingly intrigued by the idea of tapping retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn in order to project strength and know-how on national security, according to four people familiar with the vetting process,” wrote Costa in the Post Saturday.
GoLocalProv had reported in May that Flynn was on the short list for consideration for the Vice Presidential slot.
A Big Middletown Family
In 2011, GoLocal featured General Flynn and his brother General Charlie Flynn as they are one of the few brother combos that have served as Generals simultaneously in United States history.
Flynn is a registered Democrat, but has been critical of the Obama Administration’s military strategy.
His Military Record
Michael Flynn served in Grenada, Haiti, and extensively in Afghanistan.
According to his bio, Flynn served as the director of intelligence, Joint Staff from July, 2008 to June, 2009, then the director of intelligence, International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan from June 2009 to October 2010. He also served as the director of intelligence, United States Central Command from June 2007 to July 2008, and the director of intelligence for Joint Special Operations Command from July 2004 to June 2007, with service in Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom) and Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom).
Trump Rally in Warwick Rhode Island, April, 2016
Photography by Richard McCaffrey
- Two RI Brothers: Two USA Generals
- Rhode Islander on Trump’s Short List for Vice President
- RI GOP Committeeman and GA Candidate Frias Refuses to Comment on Trump
- Jencunas: Comparing & Contrasting Donald Trump to Ronald Reagan
- Donald Trump Wins Indiana Primary
- Finneran: Donald Trump, Fair And Square
- Horowitz: Key Republicans Refuse to Board the Trump Bus
- Trump Targets Amazon CEO & Wash Post Owner Jeff Bezos Over Antitrust Claims
- Rhode Islanders’ Rage Fuels Trump and Sanders Victories
- Trump Wins Rhode Island GOP Primary
- Donald Trump Says “Leave Tom Brady Alone”
- Trump Rally in Warwick Rhode Island, See the Experience
- Trump Looks to Line Up Crucial Delegates Following RI Campaign Stop
- Trump Sweeps Primaries While Clinton Extends Delegate Lead
- Polls Find Sanders, Not Clinton, Has Better Chance Against Trump
- Top Trump Advisers with Rhode Island Ties
- Horowitz: Trump Fails to Pivot
- Trump’s Campaign Fundraising Falls Behind Clinton
- Donald Trump Down in the Polls After Rough Week on the Trail
- This One Chart Spells Trouble for Donald Trump’s Campaign
- Violent Protests Break Out at Trump Rally in San Jose
- Donald Trump Details Distribution of $5.6 Million Raised for Veterans
- Could Trump Win in Rhode Island?
- Trump Leads Clinton for 1st Time in General Election Poll
- Trump Reaches Magic Number of Delegates, Locks up GOP Nomination