NEW: Top Providence School Official Leaving
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
The chief of staff to the Providence schools superintendent, Stephanie Federico, confirmed today she is leaving her position to enter the private sector.
“I am moving on,” Federico told GoLocalProv. “Really it’s just that I had a great opportunity I couldn’t pass up.”
Her departure marks the third top school official to leave the Providence school system this year. Earlier in the spring, Superintendent Thomas Brady stepped down, followed in short order by the second-in-command at the district, Sharon Contreras, the Chief Academic Officer.
This summer, Federico will be moving on to Anthony DeSisto & Associates, where she will be working on municipal law, lobbying, and legislative initiatives. She has been in the district three years—one year longer than her original commitment—and, prior to being chief of staff, worked in the administration of former Mayor David Cicilline.
The departure of top school officials comes during a time of turmoil and controversy in the school district—marked by the closures of some schools and the mass terminations of all teachers early this year. Federico told GoLocalProv that those challenges—which she said are common to urban school districts—are part of what’s made her job “exciting, rewarding, and frustrating.”
“Certainly it is not the reason that I am leaving,” she added. “If anything, doing that work ignited my passion for public service.”
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.