New: State Reps Want Feds to Weigh in on Sakonnet Bridge Tolls
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Rep. Raymond E. Gallison Jr. (D-Dist. 69, Bristol, Portsmouth), Rep. John G. Edwards (D-Dist. 70, Tiverton, Portsmouth), Rep. Dennis M. Canario (D-Dist 71, Portsmouth, Little Compton, Tiverton) and Rep. Linda Finn (D-Dist. 72, Middletown, Portsmouth) sent a letter today to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood asking for hearings by the Federal Highway Administration on the state’s plan for tolls.
In a joint statement to LaHood, the quartet said that previous hearings undertaken by the Rhode Island Department of Transportation and the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority didn’t go far enough to understand the “negative impacts and burdens” that the tolls would put on citizens and business people from the area.
“We understand that the hearings conducted by RIDOT and RITBA are a part of their application, but we firmly believe that separate hearings by the Federal highway Administration are necessary and appropriate,” the four said in their letter.
The RIDOT has applied to the Federal Highway Administration for permission to institute tolls of an unspecified rate on the bridge, which connects Tiverton and Portsmouth over the Sakonnet River.
- UPDATE: Cicilline, Gemma, Doherty Come Out Against Sakonnet River Bridge Toll
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Larry Fitzmorris: Put a Stop to the Sakonnet Tolls
- NEW: $8.95 Million Sale of Sakonnet Vineyards To Alex and Ani Final
- NEW: Doherty Against Pledges to Stop Tolls on Sakonnet River Bridge
- NEW: Edwards, Felag, DiPalma Fighting Sakonnet River Bridge Tolls
- Summer Wine Getaway to Sakonnet Vineyards