NEW: Senate Judiciary to Vote on Same-Sex Marriage Bills Tuesday
Friday, April 19, 2013
The three pieces of legislation scheduled for consideration are:
• 2013-S-0038, sponsored by Senator Donna M. Nesselbush (D – Dist. 15, Pawtucket), to permit same sex marriage in the state and deem those who had entered into civil unions as married;
• 2013-S-708, sponsored by Senator Frank A. Ciccone, III (D – Dist. 7, Providence, North Providence), proposing a constitutional change to permit same sex marriage if the constitutional amendment is ratified by the voters; and
• 2013-S-5015A, sponsored by Representative Arthur Handy (D – Dist. 18, Cranston), the House version of Senator Nesselbush’s bill.
The Committee will meet at 3 p.m. in Room 313 of the State House on Tuesday. According to the Committee, no public testimony will be taken on Tuesday, following a "lengthy public hearing on both Senate bills on March 21."
- Obama Endorses Gay Marriage: Will RI Support Equality?
- NEW: Treasurer Raimondo Voices Support for Gay Marriage
- LISTEN: Will Gay Marriage make it out of the Senate Judiciary Committee?
- Do RI Voters Want to Decide Gay Marriage at the Polls?
- BREAKING: Chafee Signs Executive Order Recognizing Out-of-State Gay Marriages
- Gay Marriage Bill Introduced in Rhode Island
- Mayors Rally Around Gay Marriage Legislation