NEW: SEC Closes Rhode Island Pension Investigation
Tuesday, July 09, 2013
"Our pension practices are transparent, our disclosure is accurate, and our pension system is on a firm foundation," Raimondo said. "Any cloud that lingered over our pension disclosure is gone. Our public employees and retirees should have greater peace of mind today."
The SEC investigation of the financial statements and disclosures about the $7.7 billion Employees' Retirement System of Rhode Island began in early 2011 and examined disclosure in bond offering documents related to pension finances from 2007 to the beginning of Raimondo's term, in 2011.
"This is a well-deserved result for Rhode Island," said Paul Maco, a partner at Bracewell & Giuliani. "The SEC, as a matter of policy, will not explain its reasoning. From my perspective, several factors may have been influential. Treasurer Raimondo's Truth in Numbers initiative, combined with adding an overall robust commitment to state of the art financial disclosure, training, and best practices to existing good disclosure, plus decisive legislative action on pension reform, all likely influenced the SEC's decision to end its investigation of the State."
- 2014 RI Governor’s Race - Raimondo Has the Early Money Lead
- AFSCME Info Request on Money Managers’ Fees Blocked By Raimondo
- Carol Anne Costa: Raimondo Steps Up For Crime Victims
- EXCLUSIVE: State Pension Fund Lost $200M under Raimondo
- Forbes Columnist Attacks Nesi’s Relationship With Raimondo
- Forbes Magazine Blasts Raimondo - “‘Reform’ Looks More Like Wall Street Feeding Frenzy”
- Former Teachers Union Head Blasts Raimondo’s Pension Investments
- In Case You Missed It: Raimondo’s Pension Investments
- NEW POLL: Shows Raimondo Over Chafee and Doherty Over Taveras
- NEW: Block Blasts Raimondo’s Infrastructure Proposal
- NEW: Fox and Raimondo Team Up on Legislation on “Economic Growth”
- NEW: Raimondo Featured In Institutional Investor on Pension Reform
- NEW: Raimondo One of Four Honored For Excellence
- NEW: Raimondo Reviews Pension Portfolio for Gun Holdings
- NEW: Raimondo to Discuss Distressed Municipalities
- NEW: Treasurer Raimondo Voices Support for Gay Marriage
- New: Raimondo Issues ‘State of the Treasury’ Mid-term Report
- Raimondo Received $21K from Employees of SEC Violators
- Raimondo Receives up to $500,000 Payment from Pt. Judith Firm
- Russell Moore: Risk, Volatility + High Fees—Raimondo’s Gamble
- Should Raimondo Release Contracts with Hedge Funds
- Tea Party Lines Up Behind Treasurer Raimondo on Pension Reform
- Will Gina Raimondo & Angel Taveras Run for Governor?
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.