NEW: RISD President John Maeda Joins NEH Google Hangout Series
Thursday, September 05, 2013
The NEH Google Hangout is designed to illustrate how the sciences, arts, and humanities together respond to challenges and spur innovation. Like all Google Hangouts, the event is free to the public, and users are encouraged to live tweet using the #STEMandHumanities hashtag.
Maeda will be featured in part two of the NEH Google Hangout series titled From Thomas Edison to Steve Jobs: Innovation from the Arts, Humanities and STEM. Maeda and other participants will explain the STEM-to-STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math + Art) movement and how NEH, the National Endowment for the Arts, and Institute of Museum and Library Services projects reflect the charge to integrate the arts and STEM.
Who Else Will Be Participating?
In addition to Maeda, the event will also feature Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici (OR 1), Congressional STEAM Caucus Co-Chair; Congressman Aaron Schock (IL 18), Congressional STEAM Caucus Co-Chair; Perry Collins, NEH Office of Digital Humanities Program Officer; Mary Downs, NEH Division of Preservation and Access Senior Program Officer; Bill O’Brien, NEA Senior Advisor for Program Innovation; and Helen Wechsler, Institute of Museum and Library Services Supervisory Grants Management Specialist.
What is STEAM?
The STEM to STEAM initiative is supported by teachers, researchers, policy makers, students, and businesspeople from RISD and beyond. At the heart of the movement, is a team of student research assistants working in the Office of Government Relations, who are applying their firsthand knowledge of Art + Design education to explore new avenues for STEM to STEAM.
Follow NEH’s Office of Congressional Affairs on Google+ to watch the Hangouts and stay up to date on new information. For more information visit http://humanitiesinsights.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/stemhangout/
- RISD’s John Maeda in One-Man Show in London
- Brown, RISD, PC + Roger Williams Make New Top Colleges Ranking
- NEW: Brown, RISD Named Top 10 Hipster Colleges in US By Her Campus
- NEW: Brown, RISD Ranked Top Student Choice Colleges by Parchment
- NEW: RISD Library Named Most Beautiful in US—Travel + Leisure
- NEW: RISD Museum Caps Campaign with $250K From Champlin Foundations
- NEW: RISD Museum Names New Curator of Decorative Arts + Design
- NEW: RISD Named #1 Design School in the World—Business Insider
- NEW: RISD Receives Record $1 Million Donation
- RISD Museum Director John Smith: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- RISD Museum Opens ‘America In View’ Landscape Photography Exhibit
- RISD Museum Partners With NYC Firm To Launch New Visuals + Website
- RISD Museum’s Artist/Rebel/Dandy Exhibit Coming in April
- RISD Previews Major Exhibition Artist/Rebel/Dandy
- RISD Students Design “Snapshot” Device for Progressive Insurance
- RISD Students Open Innovative Retail Space in Downcity
- RISD to Show First Large Exhibit of Locally Made Work in 20 Years
- GoLocalTech: Why Google Is More Than Just Google
- NEW: Newport Preservation Society Wins $500K NEH Grant