NEW: RI Will Get $3.2 Million for Sandy Recovery
Wednesday, February 06, 2013
The Ocean State is one of five states that will receive assistance from the Super-Storm Sandy Supplemental Appropriations Bill, which the U.S. Senate passed last month and the funds will come from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery program.
The money is expected to be used for activities like repairing homes, businesses, sewage facilities and public buildings.
“I appreciate Secretary Donovan and the Obama Administration moving quickly to get these flexible recovery funds to Rhode Island so we can help homeowners, small businesses, and communities that were hit hardest by the storm,” U.S. Senator Jack Reed said today. “We have a long way to go, but this is a significant boost to our recovery efforts.”
According to estimates by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Rhode Islanders have submitted over 1,000 claims of storm damage as a result of Sandy and has already received over $12.9 million from FEMA to close roughly 40 percent of all flood claims.
The money announced today comes from an initial $5.4 billion in funds for the Ocean State as well as New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Maryland.
New York and New Jersey will see the bulk of the block grant money, with New York getting $3.5 billion and New Jersey $1.8 billion.
Rhode Island is also slated to receive $3 million from the U.S. Department of Transportation for road repairs after the storm and $1.5 million from the U.S. Department of Labor’s National Emergency Grant (NEG). Those funds will be used to provide temporary employment on projects to assist with cleanup.
- College Admissions: Deadline Changes From Hurricane Sandy
- NEW: Feds Warn of Hurricane Sandy Fraud
- Family Matters: 12 Ways to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims
- NEW: Langevin & Cicilline Blast GOP Over Hurricane Sandy Funds
- How City and Towns are Handling Hurricane Sandy
- NEW: Langevin Says More Needs to be Done After Passage of Sandy Relief Bill
- Hurricane Sandy in Pictures From GoLocal Readers
- NEW: National Grid Restores Power for 50% of Customers Affected by Hurricane Sandy
- NEW: Newport Back In Business After Hurricane Sandy
- LEGAL MATTERS: Post-Hurricane Sandy Insurance + Repairs
- NEW: Rhode Island to Receive $3 Million Federal Aid for Hurricane Sandy Recovery
- Major Unemployment Assistance Underway for those Affected by Hurricane Sandy
- NEW: FEMA Offers Crisis Counseling For RIers After Hurricane Sandy