NEW: RI Housing Launches First Time Homeowner Tax Credit
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
“The savings derived from Rhode Island Housing’s new tax credit program will pave the way for more Rhode Islanders to buy a home,” Governor Lincoln D. Chafee said. “I commend Rhode Island Housing for joining with its lending partners and implementing a plan that invests in our cities and towns and will have an economic impact throughout the state.”
About the Program
The program, called "The FirstHomes Tax Credit," is a tax credit program that owners will claim on their annual federal tax returns. The program is only available to new homebuyers purchasing homes in select areas within the state, but the credit can be claimed every year for the life of the mortgage as long as the homebuyer is still living there.
Over $93 million in tax credits are available through the program on a first-come, first-serve basis. Rhode Island Housing and FirstHomes Tax Credit Lenders are already accepting applications for the program, and they anticipate the ability to issue credits through to the end of 2015.
To learn more about the FirstHomes Tax Credit program, visit www.firsthomestaxcredit.org or call Rhode Island Housing at 401-457-1101. To learn more about Rhode Island Housing’s many other loan options and programs, visit www.loans.rhodeislandhousing.org.
- NEW: RI Housing Receives Funds To Aid Foreclosure Prevention
- RI Cities and Towns Struggle to Meet Housing Mandate
- New Legislation Would Raise Taxes On Some Low-Income Housing in RI
- RI Housing Market Reaches Long-Awaited Equilibrium
- Jim Reed: Help for RI’s Housing Crisis
- State of Affordable Housing “A Grade Above Deplorable” in RI
- NEW: RI Housing Prices on the Rise
- NEW: Providence Housing Authority Named a “High Performer”
- HUD Report Shows Housing Discrimination Against Minorities
- NEW: Rhode Island Housing Market Takes Off—RI Assoc. of Realtors
- NEW: Council Overrides Affordable Housing Veto by Taveras
- City Council Looks to Override Taveras Veto on Affordable Housing
- RI Coalition for the Homeless Praises Affordable Housing Funding in Budget
- NEW: RI Realtors Report Spike in Housing Prices in April, Drop in Sales