RI ACLU Asks Fung for Full Report on Cranston Police Dept. Investigation
Thursday, July 30, 2015
ACLU Letter to Fung
In a letter that was faxed to Mayor Fung on Wednesday, the ACLU explained that the state's APRA outlines what information, like personnel records and investigations, the state can withhold from disclosure to the Public.
“In many respects, the report is at bottom an examination of personnel and investigative matters, and so reliance on APRA exemptions ultimately serves merely as an excuse to withhold vital information from the public. The City should not seek to use APRA as a shield to withhold disclosure of critically important information from an investigation of alleged serious abuses of the public trust,” states the letter.
The letter also notes that asking the Attorney General for advice was “likely to delay – for weeks, if not months – public access to this critical report. However, the public deserves answers now.”
The Letter Concludes
The Letter concludes by saying "“In a recent statement, you said that your ‘intention has always been transparency about this report.’ Because the Access to Public Records Act does not in any manner stand in the way of the report’s disclosure, and withholding it runs counter to your stated interest in transparency, we urge prompt release of the report this week.”
Click here for a copy of the ACLU letter.
- The Scoop: Fung Hits Back at Negative Ad, Dems Blast Fung-Christie Connections, and More
- The Scoop: Fung Confirms Christie RI Visit, Almonte Blasts Magaziner on Disclosure, and More
- The Scoop: RI Democratic Governors Association Blasts Fung, Christie, and More
- Fung Fought Against Domestic Partner Benefits, Public Hearings as Insurance Lobbyist
- The Scoop: Brown’s Quinn to Head Watson Institute Communications, Fung on Sales Tax, and More
- What Fung Needs to Do to Win
- The Scoop: RenewRI Critical of GA’s Handling of ConCon, Fung’s Latest Endorsement, and More
- NEW: McKee CIaims Taylor Splitting from Fung
- The Scoop: Cianci’s New Plan, Fung Got New TV and More
- The Scoop: Block Endorses Fung; Elorza, Almonte, Magaziner Pick up Endorsements, and More
- The Scoop: Obama, Raimondo Dine at Gregg’s, Fung Calls Out Raimondo on Ethical Standards and More
- The Scoop: Fung Releases New Television Ad, Smith Blasts Paiva-Weed, and More
- The Scoop: Elorza Requests Investigation Into Possible Ballot Tampering, Fung Tours Brutopia
- The Scoop: Fung Blasts Raimondo on Campaign Contribution, Kilmartin Hits Hodgson Over NRA, and More
- NEW: Fung Blasts Raimondo on Point Judith Ties to Providence Contracts
- Will Fung Survive Policegate?