NEW: Providence Named One of America’s Snobbiest Cities
Tuesday, July 02, 2013
Providence beat out cities such as Washington DC and Los Angeles for the dubious honor. It came in behind top picks Chicago, Seattle, Santa Fe, Minneapolis, Boston, New York City, and San Francisco, who nabbed the #1 spot. For their ranking, Travel + Leisure factored in some classic signs of snobbery: "a reputation for aloof and smarty-pants residents, along with high-end shopping and highbrow cultural offerings like classical music and theater." They also took into account some of the more modern characteristics, such as tech-savviness, artisinal coffeehouses, and over-eager eco-consciousness.
So what makes Providence so snobby? Apparently, it's our "café-culture attitude" as well as the performance art. The magazine cites AS220 as a prime example of a the tell-tale artsy café. As far as the Providence theatre and performance art scene, it came in at #4 in T+L's America's Favorite Cities ranking. Lastly, they took a stab at the burgers. "Even its No. 1–ranked burgers exhibit a little healthy pretension: the sliders at beloved Harry’s Bar & Burger are 100 percent Hereford beef, and you can wash them down with a local beer (served, quirkily, in a 68-ounce boot)."
To see where other major cities ranked, click here.
- NEW: Providence Chosen One of the Most Underrated Cities in the World by Travel + Leisure
- NEW: Providence Named 3rd Best Burger Town in US by Travel + Leisure
- NEW: Providence Named America’s Top Burger City—Travel + Leisure
- Tiny Showcase: RI’s Anti-Snob Art Entrepreneurs
- NEW: Providence Named Top Affordable Getaway by Travel + Leisure
- NEW: Providence Named Top Food City 2012 By Travel + Leisure
- NEW: Providence Named Top Hipster City by Travel + Leisure
- NEW: Providence Scores Big Across the Board in Travel + Leisure Poll
- NEW: Providence Snags Top Food Honor from Travel + Leisure
- Modern Manners + Etiquette: Handling Wine Snobs + More
- NEW: RISD Library Named Most Beautiful in US—Travel + Leisure
- NEW: Travel + Leisure Names Providence #4 Beer City in America
- NEW: Travel + Leisure Names Providence 5th Best US City for Summer Travel
- Ocean House Named #4 Resort in the US—Travel + Leisure
- Providence Scores Big in Travel + Leisure’s “America’s Favorite Cities” Poll
- Travel + Leisure Features Rhode Island’s “Secret Coast”
- Travel + Leisure: Providence 4th Best Coffee City in US
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.