NEW: Patrick Kennedy in the Middle of Super Bowl Marijuana Fight
Thursday, January 30, 2014
The MPP will launch two new billboards Thursday near MetLife stadium, where the Super Bowl will be played Sunday, in response to the anti-marijuana billboard posted Wednesday by the Former U.S. Rep.'s group.
See images of the MPP billboards here.
One of the new ads is a spoof of the SAM billboard. The original SAM billboard features a football player under the text, “Motivation, Perseverance, Determination,” and a marijuana leaf under the text, “None of the Above.” It also reads: “Marijuana kills your drive. Don’t lose in the game of life.” MPP’s spoof billboard features a shot of tequila under the text, “Overdose Deaths, Violent Crimes, Serious Injuries,” and a marijuana leaf under the text, “None of the Above.” It also reads: “Prohibiting adults from making the safer choice is NOT a smart approach.”
The second ad features a statement made by Kennedy during a recent TV appearance: “I agree with the president. ALCOHOL is more dangerous [than marijuana].”
“The folks working to keep marijuana illegal appear to have run out of compelling arguments,” said MPP Director of Communications Mason Tvert. “They are now just acknowledging that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and telling people they will be losers if they make the safer choice.
“If Mr. Kennedy is concerned about public health and safety, and he knows that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, why does he prefer adults drink?” Tvert said. “Our society recognizes that adults should have the right to consume alcohol responsibly. Prohibiting those same adults from using a less harmful substance is not a very smart approach to marijuana.”
MPP’s new digital billboards are scheduled to begin running at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday. The spoof ad will be located on I-495 leading to the Lincoln Tunnel west of Routes 1 and 9 (billboard is facing east). The ad with Kennedy’s quote will be located on I-80 west of the turnpike and just east of River Street (billboard is facing east).
MPP made national headlines earlier this week when it launched a series of billboards surrounding MetLife Stadium that highlight the relative safety of marijuana compared to alcohol and playing professional football.
Marijuana Use in the New England States
According to data collected by the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, New Englanders are among the nation's top marijuana users in the country. See how the indivdual states compare in the slides below:
- BREAKING: Kara Kennedy, Sister of Patrick & Only Daughter of Ted Kennedy, Dies
- Cicilline Names Kennedy Aide as Chief of Staff
- Field Narrows in the Race to Replace Patrick Kennedy
- LIVE ELECTION UPDATE Kennedy Making Robo Calls for Caprio Today 11:15 AM
- FirstWorks Takes Over Kennedy Plaza Sept. 29
- Kennedy Plaza Gets Musical
- Guest MINDSETTERS™ Renee Aloisio & Kate Kennedy: The Power of Women’s Leadership
- LIVE PRIMARY UPDATE: 12:15 pm Kennedy Refuses to Endorse
- NEW: Kennedy Plaza Cleared After Bag Found
- NEW: Former to Kennedy Aide Joins Family Service of RI
- LIVE PRIMARY UPDATE: Patrick Kennedy, James Langevin in Warwick (VIDEO)
- NEW: Patrick Kennedy to Campaign with David Cicilline
- NEW: Patrick Kennedy Opposed to Legalization of Marijuana
- Can Republicans Steal Another Kennedy Seat?
- NEW: Providence Gets $200k for Kennedy Plaza
- Storytellers Draw Families to Kennedy Plaza
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.