Operation Zombie Nets 30 Arrests In Providence
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
See "Operation Zombie" Mugshots Below
Mayor Jorge O. Elorza, Providence Public Safety Commissioner Steven M. Paré, Providence Police Chief Colonel Hugh T. Clements, Jr., FBI Special Agent in Charge Vincent B. Lisi, Deputy Attorney General Gerald J. Coyne, U.S. Attorney Peter F. Neronha, DEA Special Agent in Charge Michael Ferguson and RISP Colonel Steven G. O’Donnell have announced Rhode Island Urban Violent Crime Initiative charges against 30 Providence gang members and associates
"Today- once again- we are proving that when all levels of government and public safety join together to target violent offenders we see substantial results," said Mayor Jorge O. Elorza. "Addressing drug distribution and gang violence is a very high priority for me, and we will continue working with our partners to stop this kind of violent criminal behavior."
Year-Long Series Of Investigations
Within the past five days, 14 individuals have been indicted by a Providence Country grand jury on state drug trafficking charges and 11 individuals have been charged by way of indictment of criminal complaint in federal court with trafficking heroin and cocaine.
The federal indictments were for delivery of heroin in excess of 100 grams and conspiracy. The state indictments were for delivery of heroin, cocaine, and conspiracy. There are several remaining suspects that have warrants issued for their arrest.
Five additional gang members were arrested on state firearm charges during this investigation. Two subjects were also additionally charged with armed robbery with a firearm. Most of the individuals charged have been identified as members or associates of gangs in and around the South Side of Providence.
“This is another example of federal state and local law enforcement providing a direct focus on specific criminals who chose to cause violence, distribute drugs and create fear in the City of Providence. This also is a warning to those who wish to engage in drug dealing and violence, this team will be targeting you next,” said Commissioner Steven M. Paré
“This investigation initiated by the Providence Police Department, strikes at the very core of drug, gang, and gun violence in the City of Providence. It also signifies what can be accomplished by coordinated, interagency efforts to take down violent gang activity. This was another excellent investigation by all involved,” said Colonel Hugh T. Clements, Jr.
“Gang members who try to fill the vacuum left by these arrests should know we will come after them too. Nobody should have to live in the midst of these drug dealing, violent criminals and the FBI hopes this well-coordinated effort will help bring peace to the streets of Providence and its surrounding communities,” said Vincent B. Lisi, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Boston Division.
Related Slideshow: Crime on College Campuses in RI: 2011-2013
The following information on campus crime comes from the Campus Safety and Security Data Analysis Cutting Tool with the Office of Postsecondary Education of the U.S. Department of Education for four-year colleges in Rhode Island. The main campus was used for colleges with multiple locations listed.
This data collection is required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Higher Education Opportunity Act.
Also listed for each school are the number of disciplinary actions taken for gun, alcohol, and drug violations.
Amount of Criminal Offenses (2011-2013)
Murder/Non-negligent manslaughter: 0
Sex offenses - Forcible: 34
Sex offense - Non-forcible: 1
Aggravated assault: 6
Motor vehicle theft: 7
Source: Institution Data from U.S. Department of Education
- NEW: RIC to host Operation Clean Government Candidate School
- Eleven Arrested, Detained In Alleged Heroin Trafficking Operation
- NEW: Utilidata Launches Operations in Rhode Island
- NEW: Mayor Taveras Activates Providence’s Emergency Operations Center
- Drop-Offs for Operation Holiday Cheer This Weekend
- NEW: Roberts to Launch Operation Holiday Cheer 2011
- This Just In: Operation Snowjob
- BREAKING NEWS: Operation Deception Officer Pleads Guilty
- Operation Holiday Cheer 2012 Collection Drive This Saturday
- NEW: Taveras Taps Sepe as Director of Operations
- “Operation Backpage” Nets 22 Solicitation Arrests in Providence
- Operation Stand Down Opens Newport Office
- Operation Stand Down RI Officially Opens Newport Office
- Operation Stand Down Rhode Island Awarded Grant to Help Veterans Obtain Employment
- Operation Clean Government Announces Candidate School on April 26
- Operation Smile Brings Underserved RI Kids Dental Care
- ProvPort Expands Operations - Two Liebherr 550 Mobile Harbor Cranes Begin Operation
- NEW: RI Officials Launch ‘Operation Holiday Cheer’ For Troops
- NEW: Operation Backpage Nets 13 More Arrests in Providence