Mattiello Cites GoLocal Poll in Rejecting Senate PawSox Measure
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
The announcement came after the PawSox dropped a mailer in Mattiello’s district and scheduled a public meeting for Tuesday night, which GoLocal reported as "a strategy fairly unheard of in Rhode Island politics."
Comments from Speaker's Office
Mattiello spokesperson Larry Berman stated the following on Monday:
“Speaker Mattiello heard from the members of his House Democratic Caucus and they do not want the House to pass the Senate bill as written. They want the House to consider legislation that would significantly reduce the risk to the state’s taxpayers. They also do not want a public referendum on this issue.
Speaker Mattiello strongly believes we can not go forward with a public financing plan with two-thirds of the state in opposition. According to the GoLocalProv poll, 67 percent of Rhode Islanders oppose this plan. Any plan must have the support of the state’s taxpayers.
He calls upon the PawSox to take a pause, and should they wish to remain in Rhode Island, they should start new conversations which consider the will of Rhode Island taxpayers. Should that occur, Speaker Mattiello is happy to engage in those talks.”
Latest for PawSox, Mattiello
As GoLocal reported on Saturday:
The “Cranston Community Night” event in political circles is seen as a slap to Mattiello. The event is scheduled for Tuesday night at The Grange in western Cranston — the site of Mattiello’s election night rally in 2016.
Mattiello won by less than 100 votes over Steve Frias — a Republican Party leader in Rhode Island and Boston-based energy and utility attorney.
Frias has gone door-to-door in opposite to the proposed $40 million in proposed public financing for the stadium.
Reached on Saturday, Mattiello told GoLocal, "I appreciate that the PawSox are coming into my district to listen to the people and address the concerns I am hearing from my constituents. I encourage the team to have meaningful communication with all Rhode Islanders and have meetings in different regions throughout the state."
- New PawSox Deal: Cost Spikes to $85M — 16% Increase UPDATED
- PawSox Target Mattiello with Mailer and Meeting in Speaker’s District: UPDATED
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mathieu - Vote Them Out of Office if They Approve New PawSox Deal
- Tuesday on LIVE: Singer Gilman & Kinch on New PawSox Deal
- PawSox Claim Potential New Stadium Must Be Pushed Back to 2021 at Earliest
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan: PawSox Deal Breaker
- Lucchino Says PawSox Have Identified Attleboro Site As Alternative to Apex Location in Pawtucket
- Sen. Sheehan Discusses the Need for a New PawSox Deal on GoLocal LIVE
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stewart: Supporting PawSox Gentrification Efforts is Not Progressive
- Top Union Leader Warns Time Is Running Out for a PawSox Deal
- “PawSox Will End Up on Ballot, or Leave,” Says Former Pawtucket City Councilman Kinch
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sheehan: New PawSox Proposal Still Falls Short of Public’s Approval
- EDITORIAL: Want to Rebuild Trust With Rhode Islanders? Let Them Vote on the PawSox Stadium
- LIVE: Raptakis on PawSox Vote, Line-Item Veto Legislation, and More
- Sen. Conley Who Opposes Public Vote on PawSox, Collects 94% of Campaign Dollars from Insiders
- Unions Full Court Press to Block PawSox Deal Going Before Voters
- Raimondo’s Budget Proposal & PawSox Legislation: This Week at the State House
- Doyle Steps Down, Senate Finance Passes PawSox Legislation: This Week at the State House
- PawSox Funding Deal Passes Senate Finance Committee
- Grebien Sounds the Alarm on PawSox on GoLocal LIVE
- EDITORIAL: The PawSox Stadium Solution
- Legislation Regarding New PawSox Stadium to be Heard Tuesday
- RI Senate Candidate Keith Opposes PawSox Stadium Deal