NEW: Langevin Receives International Disabilities Award
Monday, March 04, 2013
Today, he was honored for that work.
As one of the first recipients of the Henry Viscardi Achievement Award, created by the Viscardi Center, Langevin was honored today as a person living with disabilities for his “work and influence on the global disability community of more than one billion people.”
Langevin founded and continues to co-chair the Bipartisan Disabilities Caucus and has led the fight for stem cell research funding and strengthening amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act.
In recent months, the former Warwick resident has been an outspoken advocate for stronger gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut, going so far as to call on his fellow members of Congress to invite those affected by gun violence to be their guests at the annual State of the Union address.
Langevin said he was “humbled” to receive the award named for Dr. Viscardi, who he said “epitomized the tremendous contributions people with disabilities can make to better our society when given the opportunity.”
“After the accident that left me paralyzed, I was so fortunate to receive an outpouring of support from a loving family and caring community that inspired me to pursue my role in public service,” Langevin said. “I hope that the founding of these Awards will help raise awareness of the improvements that can be made in America and around the world so all people with a disability will have the same chance as I did to realize their potential.”
- Congressman Langevin Appears on MSNBC
- Langevin & Riley Battle in First Debate
- Langevin Wins in 2nd Congressional District
- Langevin, Whitehouse Warn Against ‘Dangerous’ Fiscal Cliff ‘Game’
- NEW: Cicilline, Langevin Looking to Send Gun Violence Message at State of the Union Address
- NEW: Langevin & Cicilline Blast GOP Over Hurricane Sandy Funds
- NEW: Langevin Announces 2013 Service Academy Nominations
- NEW: Langevin Announces Winners of RI Cybersecurity Contest
- NEW: Langevin Appointed To Congressional Gun Violence Prevention Task Force
- NEW: Langevin Calls for Changes to Nation’s Voting System
- NEW: Langevin Highlights New Reports about GOP Plan to Cut Medicare
- NEW: Langevin Picks Up Endorsement from American Nurses Association
- NEW: Langevin Proposes Crackdown On ‘Deadbeat’ Gun Dealers
- NEW: Langevin Responds to Panetta’s Warnings about Cyber Threats
- NEW: Langevin Says More Needs to be Done After Passage of Sandy Relief Bill
- NEW: Langevin Trying to Reverse Decision on Exeter Job Corps
- NEW: Langevin Warns of Fiscal Cliff Impact on Clean Energy Development
- NEW: Riley Blasts Langevin for Skipping WPRO Debate
- NEW: Riley Releases New Attack Ad on Langevin
- Riley Charges Langevin is Guilty of Playing “Rhodopoly”
- SUPER POLL: Jim Langevin or Mike Riley
- Travis Rowley: Now Jim Langevin is Lying
- Voter Guide: James Langevin Profile (2nd District)
- Who Won the 2nd Congressional Debate: Riley or Langevin?
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.