Historic Robert Lippitt House Defaced with Graffiti on Providence’s East Side
Friday, March 10, 2017
The property at 193 Hope is adjacent to the historic Governor Henry Lippitt House Museum.
About the House
Constructed in the early 1850s, the Robert Lippitt House's architect was Thomas Tefft.
The property is part of the Hope Street Historic District. According to the Providence Preservation Society:
Governor Henry Lippitt was born in Providence, Rhode Island on 9 October 1818 to Warren Lippitt and Eliza Seamans. His father Warren, originally a ship’s captain, inherited a large portion of the Lippitt Manufacturing Company founded in 1807 by Henry’s grandfather Charles Lippitt. Henry was educated at the Academy of Kingston, Rhode Island and then worked as a clerk in the cotton baling and printed cloth industry.
By 1848, Henry along with his father and younger brother Robert purchased the Tiffany textile manufacturing mill in Danielsonville, Connecticut. In 1849, Henry and Robert purchased Connecticut’s Quienebaug Manufacturing Company and then the Social and Harrison Mills in Woonsocket, Rhode Island in 1854. As Henry’s fortune grew he invested in banks, railroads, insurance companies, steamship lines and mines. By 1866, he was worth over a half million dollars. Henry was elected Governor of Rhode Island in 1875 and served two, one-year terms.
- Lippitt House Museum’s Amazing Holiday Celebrations
- Dr. Downtown, David Brussat: Raimondo’s Graffiti on the Wall
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Graffiti Vandals Destroy Historic East Side House
- Providence Councilman Puts $1000 Reward/Bounty on Graffiti Vandal
- De Los Santos, Ciccone Spar Over Graffiti, Bars in RI Senate Race in Silver Lake