NEW: Head of Gay Marriage Group Resigns
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
“I leave Marriage Equality Rhode Island with a great sense of pride and satisfaction knowing we have moved this critical debate forward. I have every confidence marriage equality will be achieved this year for all Rhode Islanders,” said Kushnir.
“The organization is stronger than it has ever been and I am able to step down now, without regret, knowing the capabilities and organizational strength that is now in place. I want to thank the board for the incredible opportunity to lead this organization,” she added.
The resignation is effective May 11. It comes at a time when the fight for gay marriage has hit some bumps in the road and remains jammed in the House Judiciary Committee. Neither MERI nor Kushnir gave a reason for the departure.
Martha Holt, chairperson of MERI’s board of directors, issued a statement thanking Kushnir for “her dedicated service.” She had been executive director for three years.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- Advocates: Gay Marriage Will Benefit RI’s Economy
- Democratic Chairman Backs Gay Marriage
- EXCLUSIVE: A Big Compromise on Gay Marriage?
- Gay Marriage Debate at the Statehouse: A Preview
- Gay Marriage Debate: Roach Responds
- Gay Marriage Intrigue at Statehouse
- Gay Marriage Opponents, Supporters Face Off
- Gay Marriage PR War Heats Up
- Gay Marriage: The Time Is Now
- Gay Marriage: What’s Wrong with a Referendum?
- General Assembly Horse Trading: ‘Woodmansee’ Bill for Gay Marriage
- Group Proposes Referendum on Gay Marriage
- Hundreds Flock to Statehouse for Gay Marriage Showdown
- LIVE ELECTION UPDATE Gay marriage group working the polls 1:20 PM
- NEW Gay Marriage Bill to Be Introduced Tomorrow
- NEW: Providence College Students to Hold Gay Marriage Rally
- NEW: Senate Committee Holds Hearing on Gay Marriage Bills
- Poll: Most Rhode Islanders Support Gay Marriage
- Sources: Gay Marriage Can’t Pass RI House
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.