NEW: Civil Unions Hearing Today
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
The bill would grant same-sex couples the same legal rights as straight couples, without using the word marriage. The bill is opposed by both gay marriage advocates who say it doesn’t go far enough and by social conservatives who warn that it is a stepping stone to gay marriage.
The primary sponsor of the legislation is Peter Petrarca, D-Lincoln.
Co-sponsors include House Speaker Gordon Fox and reps J. Patrick O’Neill, D-Pawtucket, Rep. Elaine Coderre, D- Pawtucket, and Bob Watson, R- East Greenwich.
The hearing is at approximately 4:30 p.m. in Room 313 of the Statehouse.
Click here to read the bill.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- BREAKING NEWS: Fox Supports Civil Unions
- Gay Rights Rally Protests Civil Unions Bill
- NEW: Chafee OK with Civil Unions
- NEW: Paiva Weed Backs Civil Unions
- UPDATED: Civil Unions Bill Introduced
- Advocates: Gay Marriage Will Benefit RI’s Economy
- Democratic Chairman Backs Gay Marriage
- EXCLUSIVE: A Big Compromise on Gay Marriage?
- Gay Marriage Debate at the Statehouse: A Preview
- Gay Marriage Debate: Roach Responds
- Gay Marriage Intrigue at Statehouse
- Gay Marriage Opponents, Supporters Face Off
- Gay Marriage PR War Heats Up
- Gay Marriage: The Time Is Now
- Gay Marriage: What’s Wrong with a Referendum?
- General Assembly Horse Trading: ‘Woodmansee’ Bill for Gay Marriage
- Group Proposes Referendum on Gay Marriage
- Hundreds Flock to Statehouse for Gay Marriage Showdown
- LIVE ELECTION UPDATE Gay marriage group working the polls 1:20 PM
- NEW Gay Marriage Bill to Be Introduced Tomorrow
- NEW: Gay Marriage Group ‘Extremely Disappointed’ in Fox
- NEW: Head of Gay Marriage Group Resigns
- NEW: Providence College Students to Hold Gay Marriage Rally
- NEW: Senate Committee Holds Hearing on Gay Marriage Bills
- Poll: Most Rhode Islanders Support Gay Marriage
- Sources: Gay Marriage Can’t Pass RI House
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.