NEW: City Council President Aponte “Excited” at Prospect of PawSox Coming to Providence
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
"They're very interested in coming to Providence. They closed the deal on Friday, when the new management team bought the franchise," said Aponte. "From what I can tell, they want to be in Providence. It's a good fit for Providence and the franchise, they have an interest in being on the waterfront.”
"It's Larry Lucchino, (James) Skeffington, (Bernard) Cammarata, William Egan, Fenway sports management -- the sister company of the Sox, Habib Gorgi, J. Terrance Murray, and Tom Ryan," said Aponte of the buyers. "The big ten."
J. Terrance Murray is the former head of Fleet Bank, Tom Ryan is the former CEO of CVS. Habbib Gorgi is a managing director at Nautic Partners.
Aponte noted the possible location of a new stadium could be just north of South Street landing.
"They're talking about it being by Brown's extended education facility, by Fogarty courthouse -- so where the South Street landing is, just north of that," said Aponte.
"There have been no official announcements made just yet, there will still need to be due diligence needed on the site. But they are very interested in being in Providence.”
“The deal for Pawtucket is all but dead," said Aponte. "I said to Mr. Skeffington, if Pawtucket could pull it out, would they be interested, but he said basically if it's not Providence, it would be a broader catch area."
"I think the PawSox have been an incredible source of civic pride, and I think it's important and exciting that they want to be in Providence and we look forward to working with them."
- Pawsox To Hire Gary DiSarcina
- Pawsox quest for national championship falls short
- The PawSox Do The Harlem Shake
- Pawsox Prepare to Defend Governors’ Cup
- Pawsox Take Game One in Fight for Cup
- Pawsox claim Governor’s Cup title
- Pawsox Beat Knights To Take 1-0 Series Lead
- 5 Long Weekend Musts: PawSox at McCoy & More
- Citizens Bank Donates to RI Food Bank for Every PawSox Strike-Out
- Gotta Have Sole Pairs with PawSox for Fundraiser
- Pawsox: Playoffs trump development this time around
- Bulls square series with Pawsox
- Pawsox drop 14-inning game to Durham
- REPORT: PawSox To Be Sold To Some Red Sox Owners
- PawSox Rewarded for Community Service
- Leaders Make the Case for PawSox to Stay in Pawtucket
- Russ Moore: Raimondo’s First Test, Keep The Pawsox in RI
- PawSox Win Championship
- PawSox Send Ranaudo, Vasquez to All-Star Game
- Pawsox season ends with loss to Durham
- Pawsox manager DiSarcina heads to the majors
- Pawsox name Boles new manager
- NEW: PawSox Name Josh Maurer as New Radio Voice for 2014
- Pawtucket Mayor Says PawSox Move is “Devastating”