NEW: Ciccone Wants Voters to Define Marriage
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Ciccone introduced the legislation on the same day that the House Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to send a bill by Rep. Arthur Handy to the full House floor that would legalize same-sex marriage for the first time in Rhode Island history.
Ciccone’s bill, S 0096, has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee and, if approved, would add a new section to the state Constitution that defines marriage as the “ lawful union between one man and one woman, provided the recognition and definition of marriage shall not prohibit the recognition of a lawful civil union between two (2) members of the same gender.”
The move is one supported by opponents of same-sex marriage and has been approved in a number of other states throughout the country.
- Gay Activists Hit Fox in Viral Video
- Same-Sex Marriage Supporters Tout Victories in Election
- Gay Marriage Bill Introduced in Rhode Island
- Will Same-Sex Marriage Pass in Rhode Island?
- Gay Marriage Debate Takes Center Stage Today
- How Gay Is Rhode Island?
- Mixed Reaction on Chafee’s Same-Sex Marriage Executive Order
- NEW: Chafee Applauds Committee vote on Same-Sex Marriage
- NEW: Same-Sex Marriage Approved by House Judiciary Committee
- BREAKING: Chafee Signs Executive Order Recognizing Out-of-State Gay Marriages
- Political Outlook: Time for RI to Support Same-Sex Marriage
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.