NEW: Chafee Issues Statement on Drug Overdose Deaths in RI
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
On Friday, the Rhode Island Department of Health (HEALTH) reported 38 drug overdose deaths in Rhode Island in 2014, which would put Rhode Island on pace for over 320 deaths for the year.
Statement from Governor Chafee:
“I am greatly concerned and saddened by this epidemic of drug overdose deaths that is happening in Rhode Island and around the country. I send my condolences to all the families and communities of those who have lost loved ones. The recent spike in deaths since the beginning of the year has been especially troubling.”
“I see hope and progress coming from our families and communities, working with health and behavioral officials, law enforcement officials and faith leaders throughout the entire state to address both the response to the health issue and also the cause of the problem.”
“Specifically, this coalition of health, treatment and law enforcement has:
Brought attention to the issue and increased general public awareness of drug overdose as a preventable public health problem;
Sounded the alarm to users and the public;
Strengthened statewide overdose surveillance mechanisms;
Increased the usage and effectiveness of the Prescription Monitoring Program;
Increased access to naloxone training and distribution programs;
Increased access to substance abuse treatment; and
Convened a statewide group of stakeholders to collaboratively address the epidemic.”
“As we move forward as Rhode Islanders, let us mourn the victims, and work with their families to stop these needless, preventable deaths.”
- First Sex, Then Drugs—Warwick Physician Suspended Second Time
- NEW: Rhode Island Has 38 Drug Overdose Deaths So Far in 2014
- In Case You Missed It: Highest Marijuana Prices in New England
- PODCAST: Are Medical Marijuana Users in RI Risking Their Jobs?
- Marijuana Use in the New England States
- NEW: 2 RI Physicians In Trouble Over Drugs
- NEW: Spike in Drug Overdose Deaths Reported by HEALTH
- NEW: RI to Introduce Marijuana Regulation + Taxation Bill
- PODCAST: The Highest Marijuana Prices in New England by State
- NEW: Marijuana Arrest Rates Racially Disparate Toward Blacks
- NEW: RI Physician Ordered Controlled Drugs for Home Use
- PODCAST:Hundreds in RI Expected to Die from Overdose in 2014
- The Impact of Marijuana Legalization on RI’s College Campuses
- PODCAST: Will RI Be The Next State To Legalize Marijuana?
- NEW: Patrick Kennedy in the Middle of Super Bowl Marijuana Fight
- RI State Report: Drunk Driving, School Safety, and Synthetic Drugs
- Rhode Island Drug Overdose Deaths Have Tripled in Past Ten Years
- The Scoop - Whitehouse Talks State and Federal Marijuana Laws
- RI State Report: Marijuana Decriminalization & Safer Schools
- NEW: RI Legalization Bill Would Tax Marijuana Like Alcohol
- RI State Report: Strip Clubs, Guns + Drugs
- Richard Hill: Addressing Opiate Addiction and Overdose In RI
- State Report: Marijuana Legalization Bill + Tax Hike Proposal
- NEW: Brown to Host Debate on Marijuana Legalization on April 23
- War on Drugs Has ‘Catastrophic’ Impact on RI
- Are Medical Marijuana Users in Rhode Island Risking Their Jobs?
- Will Rhode Island Be The Next State To Legalize Marijuana?
- The Highest Marijuana Prices in New England by State
- HIV + Drug Overdose Linked in RI Hospital Study
- Breaking and Entering Doc Holding Marijuana Suspended by RI HEALTH
- New England States With The Highest Marijuana Arrest Rates
- Jared Moffat: Now is the Right Time for RI to Regulate Marijuana
- As Prom Season Approaches, Anti-Drinking, Drugs Campaign Launches
- Hundreds in Rhode Island Expected to Die from Overdose in 2014
- Guest MINDSETTERS™: A Sensible Marijuana Policy for Rhode Island
- New Gallup Poll Shows 38% of Americans Have Tried Marijuana
- Leonardo Angiulo: MA Court Takes Hit of Justice in Marijuana Rulings
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.