Brown Renewing ROTC Ties With Navy, Air Force After Campus Ban
Thursday, September 15, 2016
In 2015, Brown faculty voted to renew the Navy and Air Force affiliations. The University signed new agreements with the service branches that will be celebrated at the Sept. 16 ceremony.
Brown retained ties with Army ROTC program based at Providence College.
The formal re-launching will be done by Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin Parker and Air Force Brigadier General Steven Garland.
They will be joined by U.S. Senator Jack Reed as well as members of the Naval ROTC at Holy Cross and Air Force ROTC at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, whose campuses host the regional unites in which Brown students can now participate.
Brown & ROTC
In 1969, in the context of the Vietnam War, Brown's faculty voted to limit the role of the military in all instruction on campuses, resulting in the closing of the then campus based programs with the Navy and Air Force.
The ROTC debate was reopened in 2011 but it was determined by then president Ruth Simmons that there was no "powerful and overriding reason to reinstitute a full-fledged Army ROTC program at Brown."
- NEW: Brown University to Host Teach-In and Vigil on Syria
- NEW: Famed Author Jamaica Kincaid to Read at Brown University
- Brown University to Host Senator Olympia Snowe
- Brown University Ranked a Top ROI College in 2014 by Forbes
- NEW: Brown University Grants $50K to Providence Schools
- Brown University Awards 2,419 Degrees at Commencement 2013
- NEW: “Lend a Hand” Campaign for Sunil Tripathi at Brown University
- Brown University Freshmen Top 15 Happiest in the US
- Ben Affleck To Receive Honorary Doctorate From Brown University
- NEW: Brown University Corporation Elects 12 New Members
- NEW: Brown University’s “BrainGate” Program Wins $1M Prize
- Brown University As Seen From A Drone
- Brown University Names New Dean of the College
- GoLocalTV: Brown University Alums in the 2016 Presidential Race
- Brown University Grad Rafael Maia Takes 5th Year at Pitt
- Brown University Math Institute Awarded Renewal of $17.5 Million Grant
- Brown University Rescinds Honorary Degree Bestowed to Bill Cosby ‘85
- Brown University & RI Hospital Earn Grants to Teach Addiction Screening
- Brown University Graduate Student Dies in Fall from Science Library Building
- Brown University Admits 2,580 to Class of 2019
- NEW: Brown University Investigated by Feds in Sexual Assault Case
- NEW: Brown University Names Cliatt New VP for Communications
- 30 Brown University Alumni Leading the United States in Business
- Aronson, Founding Dean Of Medicine at Brown University, Dies at 92
- Brown University Public Safety Officers Vote No Confidence in Leadership