NEW: Brown Named Top 10 Healthiest College in US
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Although Brown is most well known for having America’s Happiest College Students in the 2010 Princeton Review rankings, this university on top of College Hill landed on the #6 rank for its health services and resources and dining services. According to Greatist, Brown has “impressive health services and resources” for its students. In Trojan’s 2012 sexual health report card, Brown was named the number two college for its “accessible sexual health resources,” which included positive reviews of health center by students, condom availability, and STI testing on campus. The site also mentioned the variety of Brown’s dining service, which offers a “roots and shoots” line full of vegetarian, vegan, and locally grown food.
Greatist ranked each school on a rigorous scoring process in the categories of dining services and awards, fitness facilities, health services, happiness, rankings and health and fitness initiatives. The site complied its data from a variety of sources beginning with nominations from its readers through social media, reader suggestions from last year’s list, and to student surveys from College Prowler, The Princeton Review, and each school’s website. Any mentions of schools with exceptional food, fitness facilities, health services, great health and fitness initiatives, and happy students were scoured as well. After looking at everything from dining hall menus and sustainability of ingredients, to the number of club and intramural sports, fitness class offerings and accessibility, campus acreage, and dorm satisfaction, Greatist narrowed the list down to the top 25.
Brown was the only college in Rhode Island to make the cut but other familiar universities in its neighboring New England states appeared on the list as well. University of Massachusetts, Amherst took the #9 spot for its great fitness facilities and “fancy-schmancy” dining hall menus. The next ranked New England college was Boston University at #19 followed by Maine’s Colby college at #21. Tufts was the last college to make it on to the list at #25 for its dining halls that offer organic products and healthy beans, greens, and grains station.
For a complete list of rankings, click here.
- Brown University Awards 2,419 Degrees at Commencement 2013
- NEW: “Lend a Hand” Campaign for Sunil Tripathi at Brown University
- NEW: Statement from Brown Student Sunil Tripathi’s Family
- Brown University Freshmen Top 15 Happiest in the US
- NEW: Brown Chosen As STEM Project Site For National Initiative
- RI Music Community Rallies Around Brown Bird’s David Lamb
- Ben Affleck To Receive Honorary Doctorate From Brown University
- Brown, RISD, PC + Roger Williams Make New Top Colleges Ranking
- NEW: Brown Football Previews Season–Two Games Under the Lights
- Sullivan, McGonagill Share Brown MVP Honors
- Brown Basketball Schedule Released
- La Salle and Moses Brown Earn Spot in Division I Boys Lax Final
- NEW: Brown Named #1 Most Sexy/Smart College in US
- Brown Gridders To Play Saturday
- MUSIC: The Columbus Puts On A Benefit For Brown Bird’s Dave Lamb
- NEW: Brown Named Top 10 Healthiest College in US
- Brown Hockey Players’ Lazyman Lobster: Direct From Maine
- MUSIC: The Devil Makes Three Hosts Benefit For Brown Bird’s Dave Lamb
- NEW: Brown University Corporation Elects 12 New Members
- Brown Prof Herlihy Has Written The Book on Vodka
- Martin, Brown Announce First Recruiting Class
- NEW: Brown, RIC, URI, to Advance South Street Power Station Redevelopment
- Brown Students Share Reminiscences of Missing Student Sunil Tripathi
- Missing Brown Student and Incorrectly Accused Bomber Found Dead
- NEW: CCRI Promotes Brittany Brown To Head Women’s Basketball