NEW: Bridge and Turnpike Authority Approves Sakonnet Bridge Tolls
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Rhode Island Bridge and Turnpike Authority voted today to establish tolls on the new Sakonnet River Bridge, starting this July.
RIBTA voted to charge tolls on the new bridge, with officials saying that most drivers with Rhode Island E-ZPass transponders will pay 75 cents.
Out of state motorists who use E-ZPass, but not a Rhode Island transponder, will pay $3.75. Vehicle owners without transponders will be billed $5.25.
For local drivers, regardless of the number of trips over the Sakonnet River Bridge in a single day, the maximum cost will be $1.50. For out-of-state drivers with transponders, it would cost $7.50
Authority Chairman David A. Darlington said that the authority hopes to begin collecting tolls in early July. Federal approval is needed for the changes in the project's environmental impact statment for the tolls to be impmemented.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Larry Fitzmorris: Put a Stop to the Sakonnet Tolls
- NEW: Doherty Against Pledges to Stop Tolls on Sakonnet River Bridge
- NEW: Edwards, Felag, DiPalma Fighting Sakonnet River Bridge Tolls
- New: State Reps Want Feds to Weigh in on Sakonnet Bridge Tolls
- The Sakonnet River Bridge Toll: Rhode Island’s Very Own Civil War