NEW: Avedisian Resigns from Problem-Riddled RIPTA
Thursday, May 26, 2016
Avedisian, who has served as the Mayor of Warwick since first being elected in 2000, was at the helm of RIPTA since 2012.
"My term was up and I didn't want to make another four year commitment and I thought it was a good time," Avedisian told GoLocal. "I've spoken with the Governor about it."
Avedisian added he had stayed on longer than he had expected.
"I'd gone with the purpose of staying one year, and it ended up being five," said Avedisian. "As for who might be the next Chair, that's up to the board, generally with input from the Governor. There are four seats currently up on the board."
Latest for RIPTA
latest in series of serious accidents that have plagued the agency.
"In the past two years, three people have been killed by Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) buses and dozens have been injured. Now a lawsuit in the 2015 death of nine-year-old Ani Emdjian raises serious concerns about RIPTA’s safety and training of its drivers," wrote GoLocal on May 11.
Related Slideshow: RIPTA Crashes - 2016
May 9, 2016
A RIPTA bus crashed into the western entrance of the East Side Trolley Tunnel by College Hill on Monday afternoon.
Witnesses say it looked serious and nine were injured.
"When I got there, it had already happened, but it looked pretty bad," said local artist Philippe Lejeune, who was on the scene. "There were ambulances taking people away."
March 1, 2016
Four passengers and a bus driver were injured when a RIPTA bus crashed into a street lamp at Francis and Gaspee Streets by Providence Place Mall.
The crash was reported at about 2:11 p.m. at Francis and Gaspee streets.
The bus knocked down a street lamp. The RIPTA driver was cited for the accident.
Jan 25, 2016
A Rhode Island Public Transit Authority bus crashed into a building in Warwick, sending three people to the hospital. The crash destroyed a commercial building and those business are still displaced today.
September 13, 2015
On September 13, 2015, a RIPTA driver was arrested for disobeying the orders of a Providence Police officer.
The bus driver, according to Providence Police, was arrested for failing to comply with an Providence Police’s order to move his bus.
May 20, 2015
A woman was killed when she was trapped under a bus on Broad Street.
Bobbie Moore died three months from injuries after the accident.
March 26, 2015
9 year-old Ani Emdjian was killed when she was hit by a RIPTA bus on Smith Street.
May 29, 2014
A RIPTA transit bus struck Frank McKnight while he was walking in a crosswalk from the Federal District Court building to the John O. Pastore building.
STATEMENT FROM UNITED STATES MARSHAL JAMIE A. HAINSWORTH:
I am deeply saddened to announce the passing of federal Court Security Officer Frank McKnight, 69, of North Kingstown. Officer McKnight passed away at Rhode Island Hospital at 6:30 this evening. Officer McKnight’s family was by his side.
A retired North Kingstown police officer with 25 years of service, having retired at the rank of Lieutenant, Officer McKnight was a court security officer for the past 13 years, most recently assigned to the U.S. District Court building.
Officer McKnight was a dedicated, career law enforcement officer and public servant who came to work daily eager and ready to serve, brandishing a positive attitude and always with a smile. His distinguished career will be heralded. His absence will be greatly felt by all that he worked with and served.
- NEW: RIPTA Beginning Gradual Reopening Following Storm
- NEW: T.F. Greene, RIPTA Cancelling Service in Anticipation of Storm
- NEW: Chafee Issues Statement Following RIPTA Stabbing
- NEW: RIPTA Fall Service Changes Will Impact Two-Dozen Routes
- RIPTA WInter Service Changes Go Into Effect January 18th
- NEW: Overseer Identifies Problems with RIPTA’s Financial Controls
- NEW: RIPTA Awarded $1.22 Million Transit Improvement Grant
- State Report: The Whitehouse DUI, Childhood Well-Being & RIPTA’s Big Investment
- Fund Established for Family of Girl Killed by RIPTA Bus
- NEW: RIPTA CEO Studley Releases Statement on Police Report
- RIPTA Refuses to Disclose Driver Accident Reports
- 3 Dead, Dozens Injured, and Lawsuits Filed in Two Years - Is RIPTA Safe?
- Security Breach Scandal: What Next at RIPTA?
- RIPTA Riders Alliance to Host Press Conference on Revamp of Kennedy Plaza
- RIPTA To Suspend Service at 5pm Sunday
- NEW: RIPTA Fare Hikes Opposed at State House Rally
- Don Roach: Rate Hikes Won’t Solve RIPTAs Fiscal Woes
- NEW: Serious Accident at East Side RIPTA Tunnel in Providence
- NEW: RIPTA Releases Crash Footage From Monday’s Bus Tunnel Accident
- NEW: RIPTA Bus Driver Assailant Surrenders to Providence Police
- NEW: RIPTA Driver Punched, Providence Police Seek Suspect
- RIPTA “Heartbroken” over Bus Accident that Killed Providence Girl, 9
- NEW: 3 Fired at RIPTA After Security Breach