Narragansett High School’s Hayes-Leite Named 2018 RI Teacher of the Year
Friday, June 02, 2017
"Kristin embodies everything that we look for in great teachers. She is a leader, she is innovative, she is compassionate, and she is completely committed to her students. Congratulations to Kristin and the entire Narragansett High School community for being an example of what can happen when we foster strong teaching and learning,” said Governor Gina Raimondo.
As Teacher of the Year, Hayes-Leite will work with the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) through the 2017-2018 school year to develop policy, lead professional development, and help support education across the state.
She also becomes eligible to represent Rhode Island as the National Teacher of the Year.
At Narragansett High School, Hayes-Leite teaches social studies and has created and teaches new elective courses, including Contemporary Issues, and Law and Society.
"In this field of public education, I am surrounded by heroes: students, teachers, families, and administrators, who individually persist in the epic struggle to obtain or deliver a quality education. It is time to stand up for one another and take pride in public education," Hayes-Leite wrote in her Teacher of the Year application.
She is also a member of the Blended Learning Catalyst Team and was recently named to Narragansett High School's Fuse Architect pilot design team, which is charged with creating and piloting systems to increase personalization and student engagement in learning.
Hayes-Leite is a graduate of Franklin Pierce College in New Hampshire, and completed Master's degrees in both teaching and reading from Rhode Island College.
She is a member of the National Council on the Social Studies, the Rhode Island Society of Technology Educators, and the International Reading Association.
She was the 2016 Narragansett Employee of the Year, and was awarded the Horace Mann Abraham Lincoln Fellowship in 2010.
Related Slideshow: U.S. News & World Report’s Best High Schools in RI - 2017
- NEW: Hope High Teacher Named Providence Teacher of the Year
- Ponaganset’s Moscarelli Named RI Teacher of the Year
- Motta Selected Providence’s 2017 Teacher of the Year
- RI Beauty Expert: What to Wear to Your High School Reunion
- It’s All About Education: Should Every High School Graduate Be Able to Attend College?
- GoLocalTV: Top High School Rankings Coming Monday
- COMING MONDAY: RI’s Top High Schools - 2015
- Methodology: RI’s Top High Schools 2015
- NEW: Cumberland High School’s Tenreiro Named National Principal of the Year
- Senator Ruggerio Introduces Bill Requiring Defibrillators in all Middle & High Schools
- NEW: 2015 Rhode Island High School Presidential Scholars Announced
- Naval War College Professor Receives Award For Work With High School Students
- Will South Kingstown High School Change Its Rebel Mascot?
- See RI’s Top High Schools 2015
- The Top High Schools in Rhode Island 2015
- ALL-USA RI High School Football Team Announced
- Worcester Superintendent Binienda Supports High School Athlete that Protested National Anthem
- College Admissions: The Real Danger in Being a High School Athlete
- Former RI High School Hockey Stars Meet in Northeast-10 Conference Semifinals Saturday
- Classical High School to Honor Alums in April, More Events to Come
- College Admissions: High School Classes Colleges Look For