NEW: Moses Brown Students Nominated for National Scholarships
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Four members of the school's class of 2014 have been selected as candidates for the Presidential Scholar Program. Six members of the class of '14 have also advanced to the finalist stage in the National Merit Scholarship competition.
This year's candidates for the Presidential Scholar Program from Moses Brown are William Atkinson of Rumford; Margot Creamer of Barrington; Daniel Brandes of Cranston, and Sydney Harrington of East Greenwich. The National Merit Scholarship Finalists from the school are Atkinson; Harrington; Gregory Fullam of Mansfield, MA; Daniel Brandes of Cranston, and Rebecca Kestin and Caroline Ohlson, both of Providence.
Both the Presidential Scholar Program and the National Merit Scholarship are prestigious commendations presented annually to high school students from across the nation. The Presidential Scholars program honors one male student and one female student from each state in the country, in addition to several at-large candidates and 20 U.S. Presidential Scholars for the Arts. Eligibility for consideration is determined based on ACT and SAT standardized test scores. After meeting the minimum scores required for consideration, candidates submit essays, transcripts, and self-evaluations for judgments.
Final selections will be rendered in April. Moses Brown has had two alumni selected for the award in recent years: Dylan Need ('11) and Jessica Magro ('13).
National Merit Scholarship candidate pool is comprised of students who scored in the top 1% of all students who took the PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test in October 2012. 15,000 finalists are considered for 8,000 awards, including a $2,500 National Merit Scholarship. Finalists are judged on their test scores in addition to high school recommendations, skills and accomplishments.
Founded by its namesake in 1784, Moses Brown is a private school for students from nursery school through 12th grade. Located on the East Side of Providence, the school continues to be function within the Quaker tradition in which it was founded. For more information on Moses Brown, check out their website, here.
Related Slideshow: College Guide: Best Off-Campus Study Spots in Providence
Are you having trouble finding some much needed peace and quiet on your college campus? Check out the following coffee shops and cafés, which are sure to satisfy your studying needs and taste buds.
Blue State Coffee
A café where you’re guaranteed to feel guilt free, even if you put off that essay until the day before it’s due. Blue State Coffee donates 2% of their sales to local non-profit organizations that are voted for by the customers. Enjoy an espresso at their location in the Brown University Bookstore or their stand-alone spot up the road on Thayer Street.
300 Thayer St, Providence
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 AM - 9 PM, Saturday-Sunday, 8 AM - 9 PM.
Second Location: The College Hill Café, 244 Thayer St, Providence (in the Brown University Bookstore).
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am-8pm, Saturday 10am-8pm, Sunday 10am-6pm.
If you’re passionate about supporting fair trade and organic coffee, look no further than Coffee Exchange. The Wickenden St. location makes it perfect for place for Brown students looking to get away from campus. With a variety of coffee roasts, they offer enough options for everyone. Outside seating is available for nice days and the cozy atmosphere is perfect for studying.
207 Wickenden St, Providence
Hours: Monday-Sunday 6:30 AM - 11 PM.
Photo: Flickr/Caroline Fenn
Small Point Café
Find yourself bustling downtown and in need of a quiet oasis? Head straight for Small Point Café, which offers locally grown coffee prepared to order, no shortcuts taken. The prices are affordable and the atmosphere is filled with green-friendly materials, making this independently run spot a great place to get away. A must try for Johnson and Wales University students!
230 Westminster St, Providence
Hours: Monday 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM, Tuesday-Friday 7:30 AM - 9:30 PM, Saturday-Sunday 8:30 AM-9:30 PM.
Photo: Flickr/Hey Paul Studios
Johnston, Cranston and Wakefield
With multiple locations, Brewed Awakenings can be found wherever you’re studies may take you. The Wakefield location is close to the University of Rhode Island campus, making this a perfect place to study without interruption. They feature 14 varieties of brewed coffees and teas; signature drinks offered hot or cold, and fresh fruit smoothies. The variety of menu offerings will wake you up or cool you down.
Check website for local addresses, phone numbers, and hour.
Photo: Flickr/Terry Johnston
Providence, Wakefield, Newport, Smithfield
A national chain that feels comfortable in every location, Panera Bread has locations close to many Rhode Island colleges, The menu features breakfast and lunch favorites including invigorating coffee drinks, soul warming daily soup options, and pastries that will satisfy any sweet tooth. Each café includes a welcoming atmosphere with fireplaces and comfortable seating that will inspire “A”-worthy work.
Check website for local addresses, phone numbers, and hours.
Close Independence Park overlooking Bristol Harbor, Beehive Café offers a relaxed space with room to spare in their two story building. Breakfast and lunch are served Sunday-Wednesday, while dinner is offered Thursday-Saturday. In the meantime they offer coffee, teas and a selection of pastries, great for weary travelers from Roger Williams University. Ingredients come from local farms, so you’ll be well nourished for your assignment.
10 Franklin St, Bristol. 401-396-9994
Hours: Monday-Wednesday 7 AM - 4 PM, Thursday-Saturday 7 AM - 9 PM.
Lincoln, Newport, Providence
A café that spans across the globe, Starbucks is known everywhere for their consistency and convenience. With locations close to many Rhode Island colleges, your favorite coffees, Frappuccino’s, and teas are never too far away. Every location offers free WiFi and a welcoming atmosphere that encourages customers to stay while they work.
Check website for local addresses, phone numbers, and hours.
Empire Tea and Coffee
This Newport coffee shop is one of the largest in Rhode Island, offering over 5,000 feet of space that allows for an optimal study environment. Empire Tea and Coffee offers a variety of tea and coffees drinks that features international flavors. WiFi is available with any purchase, and the location is close to Salve Regina University.
22 Broadway, Newport
Hours: Monday-Sunday 7 AM - 10 PM.
- La Salle Back in Lacrosse Final Again, will face Moses Brown for Title Sunday
- College Admissions: 9 Scholarships Anyone Can Apply For
- New England Tech Holds Annual Scholarship Awards Presentation
- Moses Brown Outlasts Barrington, Wins Rain-Soaked Girls’ Lax Title
- Freshmen to Watch: Gorgi and Moran are the Future of Moses Brown Girls Tennis
- NEW: Moses Brown Swimmer Dazzles with Sportsmanship
- How To Secure Financial Aid and Scholarships For Your College Education
- PPAC Announces Scholarships for Young Artists
- Moses Brown Students Head to Dominican Republic for Service Spring Break
- GAME ON: Hendricken vs. Moses Brown Boys Lacrosse
- La Salle Wins First-Ever Boys’ Lacrosse Title, knocks off Moses Brown, 9-7
- Local Student Wins Four-Year Scholarship at GRRL Tech Expo
- PPAC Awards Art Scholarships to 26 RI Students
- GAME ON: LaSalle and Moses Brown Boys’ Hockey
- 150 Scholarships for RI Students Still Available—RI Foundation
- NEW: $5,000 Scholarships for Top Senior Athletes Available NOW
- Scholarships Awarded in IT and STEM by Tech Collective and Partners
- GAME ON: LaSalle at Moses Brown Boys Lax
- 3 Must-Knows for College Athletic Scholarships
- NEW: Brown Scores Four Students for Rhodes Scholarships
- Teen Volunteers Awarded Scholarships at Women & Infants
- GAME ON: Moses Brown and Fatima OT Thriller
- Bay View Sophomore Maggie Dunleavy Nets National Scholarship
- NEW: College Crusade of Rhode Island Awards over $1.3 Million in Scholarships
- The Grainger Foundation Grants $5,000 Scholarship To New England Tech
- GAME ON: Moses Brown and Hendricken Hockey
- College Admissions: 10 Scholarships Anyone Can Apply For
- NEW: Taco/White Family Funds New Scholarship at New England Tech
- UPDATE: RI HS Students: More than 150 Scholarships Available, Deadline Soon
- GAME ON: The Sideline - Coach Matson, Moses Brown
- College Admissions: 3 Must-Knows for Athletic Scholarships
- NEW: The Limited to Award $5K Scholarship in Rhode Island
- La Salle and Moses Brown Earn Spot in Division I Boys Lax Final