Marriage Equality RI Director Ray Sullivan: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
Tuesday, January 01, 2013
As executive director of Marriage Equality Rhode Island (MERI), Sullivan’s goal is to convince lawmakers to pass a bill during the upcoming General Assembly session that will make Rhode Island the last state in New England to legalize same-sex marriage.
Sullivan co-sponsored same-sex marriage legislation during his tenure as a State Rep. between 2004 and 2010, but he watched as his colleagues dodged the issue. In 2011, his first year with MERI, lawmakers again took a flyer on gay marriage and instead opted for what he has called the “worst civil unions bill in the country.”
But times are changing and the politically savvy Sullivan knows he’s built some leverage with lawmakers who don’t want to be remembered for voting against the bill. That leverage only grew during the 2012 elections when marriage equality supporters joined forced with the unions and other progressive groups to target Senators they knew were opposed to gay marriage. Now Sullivan says there will be more pro-equality members of the legislature in 2013 than at any time in history.
Still, passage is far from a lock.
With the votes seemingly secured in the House, he now needs to convince the Senate to vote on the bill rather than attempt to punt on the issue. But with Senate President M. Teresa Paiva Weed and Senate Judiciary chairman Michael McCaffrey still opposed to gay marriage, there is a real possibility the legislation could be killed.
That’s where Sullivan can shine. He’s been in the trenches, understands how the legislature works and now lawmakers understand he’s got a army of supporters who will hold them accountable if they attempt to kick the can down the road.
For Sullivan, the time is now.
- NewportFILM’s Terri Conners: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Pawtucket School Committee Member Sandra Cano: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Central Falls Mayor James Diossa: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Providence Police Chief Hugh Clements: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- City Council President Michael Solomon: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- RISD Museum Director John Smith: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Cranston Mayor Allan Fung: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- State Rep. Chris Blazejewski: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Entrepreneur Hannah Chung: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Tech Entrepreneur Chris Sheehy: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Musician Joe Fletcher: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- The Dorrance’s Ben Sukle: 13 to Watch in RI in 2013
- Marriage Equality RI Director Ray Sullivan: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013