Man Dies at Salve Regina Library According to President Gerety
Tuesday, July 26, 2016
Salve Regina President Jane Gerety announced late Tuesday night that a man tragically died in the University's library.
TO: The University Community
FROM: Sister Jane Gerety, President
RE: Situation at McKillop Library
DATE: July 26, 2016
I would like to take a moment to reflect on a situation that took place at McKillop Library yesterday, and offer my praise to several members of our campus community.
Often I have commented that the Salve Regina community is at its best when the world seems to be at its worst. This was the case once again, when several of our employees found themselves faced with a difficult and tragic situation.
While walking on the Cliff Walk, a local couple, who happen to be graduates of Salve Regina, were feeling a bit out of sorts due to the heat. They entered the library to seek relief and to use the facilities. After several minutes it became clear that the male had taken a bit longer than anticipated. When he was unresponsive to his wife’s knock on the door, library staff reached out to security to intervene. Despite the best efforts of our security officers and EMTs, the gentleman could not be revived and he was pronounced dead at Newport Hospital.
Words cannot convey the levels of emotion felt during this incident. Our hearts go out to this couple and we pray for their family. As an academic community we rarely foresee these situations, yet as a campus community that provides public access to one of the most scenic tourist destinations in the country, we are prepared.
The work-study students and staff in the Library are to be commended for their actions and quick thinking. Additionally, our security team and EMTs arrived swiftly to the scene and did their best to save a life. It is never easy to deal with tragedy and I am grateful for the professionalism, caring and compassion that was displayed in this situation.
Thank you Bethany Blycker-Koll, Stephanie Menders, Courtney Schramm, Shift Supervisor/EMT Nicholas Maltais, Officer/EMT Deborah Tetrault, Officer/EMT Robert Church and Assistant Director of Safety and Security Richard Piaseczynski, your actions represent what I love most about our Salve Regina community.
- NEW: 2nd Lady Jill Biden to Speak at Salve Regina Commencement
- Sister of No Mercy: Salve’s President Jane Gerety Coaches Football
- NEW: Salve Regina Business Studies Dept. Accredited Through 2018
- Salve to Host 30th Annual East Bay Special Olympics
- Salve Hearts for Haiti Raises $12K
- $1.25 million Federal Grant Available at Salve Regina University
- 200+ RI Student Artists Featured in Salve Regina Showcase
- NEW: Former NYT Pres., CEO Janet Robinson Named Salve Board Chair
- #24 Salve Regina Upset By MIT
- NEW: Salve Regina to Award Pell Center Prize to “Still Alice” Author Lisa Genova
- Brown Med School Professor to Hold Lecture on Ebola at Salve Regina
- NEW: Salve Regina Announces Graduate Nursing Program with $1M Gift
- College Basketball: Bryant Cruises to 82-55 Victory over Salve
- Salve Fumbles Away Tournament Berth
- NEW: Salve To Honor Master Stone Carving Family at Commencement
- Salve Regina Dancers to Present Spring Concert at Casino Theatre