Is Rhode Island Looking to Legalize Online Casino Gambling to Fill Budget Gap
Monday, January 08, 2018
With revenue waning via the RI Lottery Commission, ongoing delays in the construction of Twin River’s Tiverton location, and significant competition coming online in Massachusetts, Rhode Island’s golden goose of gaming revenue in fraying.
Controversial Revenue Boost
In May, the lottery reported a significant decrease in revenue, the first clear indicator that the important segment of the Rhode Island revenue stream was weakening. Many of the categories of lottery saw diminishing numbers.
The news sent shock waves through the budget office as gaming is one of the state's top five revenue sources and one that historically continued to see gains.
Presently, the question of this type of gambling expansion -- to online -- is pending before the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of Christie v. NCAA, a de facto landmark case before the Supreme Court.
Everyone from major league sports leagues to the NCAA to Las Vegas to State Houses across the country is waiting to see if the U.S. high court rules that a Federal law, the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992, is unconstitutional.
If the court strikes down the federal law, the next noise you may hear is the gavels of speakers and senate presidents across the country shouting “and the ayes have it.”
One Rhode Island leader intrigued by the possibilities is Speaker of the House Nick Mattiello.
“Depending on the timing of the Supreme Court ruling, I don’t know if this could be in place for the next fiscal year’s budget,” added Mattiello.
A Supreme Court decision could be issued in late spring on 2018.
"The Governor is open to considering legalizing internet sports betting in Rhode Island if the Supreme Court opens a path for states to take action," said David Ortiz, Raimondo's spokesperson on Sunday night.
Impact of Such a Move — Winners and Losers
Certainly, a major expansion of gaming in Rhode Island via an online casino platform could be a big problem for Twin River. Presently, Twin River is suffering through delays in the construction of its Tiverton facility and is soon to face additional competition in Massachusetts with two significant casinos becoming operational.
“With respect to online gaming, we watch this issue closely on a national and local level, but since so much has yet to be decided from a Supreme Court perspective, and from the State's own policy perspective, we are not yet in a position to gauge our potential involvement or its possible impact on Twin River properties in Rhode Island,” said Patti Doyle, spokeswoman for Twin River.
"We added table games at Twin River in Lincoln, and will offer [them] at Twin River Tiverton, based on our understanding that while some of our customers prefer to play the slot machines, others prefer to play Blackjack, roulette, poker, etc. Similarly, we think there will continue to be those who prefer a brick and mortar gaming venue versus an online one. We will continue to closely monitor the issue,” said Doyle.
The Rhode Island Lottery's last audit reported weakness in nearly all the categories.
First, on-line gaming saw a drop of nearly $9 million — from $164.5 million in 2016 to $155.6 million in 2017. (According to the RI Lottery, "On-line games offered were PowerBall®, Mega Millions®, Keno, Bingo, Daily Numbers, Wild Money and Lucky for Life®."
Second, instant games dropped from $96.2 million to $94.2 million — a $2 million decrease.
Third, video lottery, aka slots at Twin River and Newport Grand dropped over $6 million from $488.7 million to $482.4 million.
Fourth, expenses increased by more than $3 million.
The bright spot was table games which increased over $14 million — from $125.8 to $140 million. But, Rhode Island beware as Springfield and Everett, Massachusetts are in full development. Both of those facilities are going to further impact Rhode Island even when Twin River’s facility in Tiverton is operational.
"New Jersey could see lifetime revenue hit the $1 billion mark by the end of 2018," said PlayNJ.com lead analyst Steve Ruddock. "There's the potential for super-sized growth in the year ahead. Partnerships with Nevada, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and international markets could be a key driver as the market enters its fifth year."
The state's regulated online casinos generated $20.6 million in November, essentially even with $20.6 million in October and up 20 percent from $17.2 million in November 2016.
"To put the state's online gaming growth into perspective," Ruddock said, "New Jersey online casinos will generate nearly $250 million in 2017. That's over 100 percent more than the industry generated in 2014."
November pushed the state's online gambling industry toward extraordinary annual tallies:
With $224.85 million through November of 2017, [it is] well past the $196.7 million record for annual revenue that the industry set in 2016 and on pace to fall just shy of the quarter of a billion dollar mark for 2017. The industry has generated $701.7 million since inception.
New Jersey online casinos paid $3.6 million in taxes in November, pushing the collection to $39.3 million for 2017. Since New Jersey legalized and regulated online gambling, the state has realized $122.8 million in tax revenue.
Online casino games generated $18.8 million in November. With $202.5 million for 2017, online casino games have generated $596.04 million in lifetime revenue.
Online poker brought in $1.8 million last month to push the annual total to $22.3 million. Online poker has now generated $104.9 million in lifetime revenue.
"With new products like live dealer casino games and virtual sports, and the entrance of new brands, the importance of online gambling to the health of Atlantic City will only increase in 2018," Ruddock said.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Rhode Island General Election Voters Margin of Error: +/- 4.9% at 95% Confidence Level
Interviewing Period: October 9-11, 2017
Mode: Landline (61%) and Mobile (39%)
Telephone Directed by: John Della Volpe, SocialSphere, Inc.
When it comes to voting, do you consider yourself to be affiliated with the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, Moderate, or Unaffiliated with a major party?
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
In general, would you say things in Rhode Island are headed in the right direction or are they off on the wrong track?
Right track: 39%
Wrong track: 45%
Don't know/Refused: .6%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Over the past three years or so, would you say the economy in Rhode Island has improved, gotten worse, or not changed at all?
Changed for the better: 35%
Changed for the worse: 16%
Not changed at all: 43%
Don't know/Refused: 5%
Over the same time, has your family's financial situation improved, gotten worse, or not changed at all?
Changed for the better: 26%
Changed for the worse: 19%
Not changed at all: 54%
Don't know/Refused: 1%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
Could you please tell me your age?
Don't know/refused: 1%
What was the last grade you completed in school?
High school grad: 16%
Technical/Vocational school: 1%
Some college: 23%
College grad: 34%
Graduate degree: 24%
Don't know/refused: 1%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
Would you say that Donald Trump has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as President?
Never heard of: 0%
Cannot rate: 3%
Would you say that Jack Reed has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a United States Senator?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 6%
Would you say that Sheldon Whitehouse has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a United States Senator?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 7%
Would you say that David Cicilline has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a Member of Congress?
Never heard of: 6%
Cannot rate: 8%
Would you say that James Langevin has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as a Member of Congress?
Never heard of: 13%
Cannot rate: 11%
Would you say that Gina Raimondo has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Governor?
Never heard of: 1%
Cannot rate: 3%
Would you say that Daniel McKee has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Lieutenant Governor?
Never heard of: 26%
Cannot rate: 25%
Would you say that Peter Kilmartin has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Attorney General?
Never heard of: 13%
Cannot rate: 19%
Would you say that Seth Magaziner has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as General Treasurer?
Never heard of: 21%
Cannot rate: 21%
Would you say that Nellie Gorbea has done an excellent good, fair or poor job as Secretary of State?
Never heard of: 20%
Cannot rate: 23%
- RI’s New Budget Armageddon — Falling Lottery Revenues
- NEW: Tiverton Residents Blast Casino Proposal
- NEW: Rhode Island Lottery’s Payout to State Decreased $2.9M in Last Fiscal Year
- NewportFILM Presents Acclaimed “Coming Home” Tonight at Casino Theater
- GoLocalTV - Neighbors React to a Tiverton Casino
- NEW: New Bedford Residents Vote to Back Casino Deal
- How Do Twin River Casino and Plainridge Park Casino Match Up?
- NEW: Newport Anti-Casino Group Responds to Newport Grand Sale to Twin River
- New Members Named To Citizens Concerned About Casino Gambling Executive Committee
- RI Lottery Set to Debut Redesigned PowerBall Game on Sunday
- Newport Superior Court to Hold Hearing on Possible Campaign Violations by Anti-Casino Group
- Father of Rhode Island’s Lottery John Hawkins Dies at Age 80
- Newport Grand Backers Say Anti-Casino Donor Failed to Disclose Ties to Caesars
- New England Casinos - See Who RI is up Against
- NEW: Rhode Island Lottery Paid $379M to State in Last Fiscal Year
- RI to Face $307M Budget Hole from Lost Lottery Revenue
- Twin River Casino Explores Hotel Project, Informs Lincoln
- Salve Regina Dancers to Present Spring Concert at Casino Theatre
- Where is the Opposition to the Tiverton Casino?
- ABC6’s “In The Arena” with a Discussion of the Tiverton Casino
- Pros and Cons for the Tiverton Casino - What Each Side Says
- ABC6’s In the Arena - Budget, Casino, and Fall River Rebound?
- LIVE: Twin River Spokesperson Doyle Gives Update on Tiverton Casino
- Five Big Issues Being Debated About the Tiverton Casino
- 3 RI Chambers of Commerce Support Tiverton Casino
- Casino Proposal and Marijuana Legislation: This Week at The State House
- Cheat Sheet 49, FBI Files: Las Vegas Casinos, RI Corruption, Callei Murder, Bonded Vault
- Trump Wanted to Build Mega Casino In Johnston, RI – Who, What, When, Where and Why
- UPDATED: Foxwoods Lockdown Lifted After Officer Shoots Armed Man in Casino
- VIDEO: Twin River Tiverton Casino Investment Jumps From $75M to $135M+
- GOP Leader Picks Labor Day Fight with Twin River Over Elimination of Sunday Overtime
- UB40 Brings it to Twin River!!
- All of the Statewide Referendums Approved - Twin River By the Slimest Margin
- NEW: Twin River Secures Approval in Tiverton After Mail Ballot Count
- Huey Lewis & The News Rocks Twin River!
- Good News and Bad News for Twin River Out of Massachusetts
- REPORT: FitchRatings Warns of Impact on Twin River
- Twin River Unveils $75 Million Tiverton Proposal
- MA Gaming Commission Chair Says Twin River Has Not Won Yet
- #DSTRONG, Twin River & Pawn Shops: This Week at the State House
- Twin River Spending Millions with Out-of-State Firms to Build Hotel
- Twin River & RI Laborers Complete Negotiations for 3 Bargaining Units
- Teamsters Go On Strike at Twin River - Other Unions Promise to Respect Picket Lines
- Twin River’s Wing Announces Return of the Whiskey Festival on LIVE’s The Taste
- ACLU Claims RI State Police Retaliated Against Twin River Employee Who Refused to Be an Informant
- Teamsters and Twin River in Showdown — Strike Looming
- Raimondo Solicits Twin River, IGT for NGA Mtg & Pushed for Millions in Budget for Companies
- Will Unions Cross Union Picket Lines If Twin River Has Strike?
- Twin River Workers to Strike on Friday, RI Revenues Could Be Impacted, & Raimondo Monitoring
- Twin River Strike Averted - Union Must Ratify Agreement
- Moore: Twin River’s Labor Strife Highlights Obamacare’s Weakness