slides: Infamous Talk Radio Controversies
Monday, December 16, 2013
In addition to DePetro, other radio hosts -- and elected officials -- have been at the center of controversies involving talk radio.
See examples of infamous talk radio controversies BELOW.
Related Slideshow: Infamous Talk Radio Controversies
Arbitron Ratings Scandal
In 2008, radio host John DePetro found himself in the midst of a ratings controversy. The Boston Herald reported,
The briefly stellar ratings of controversy-dogged-talkmeister John DePetro’s Providence radio show tanked yesterday after a whiff of scandal forced Arbitron to reissue its spring survey of listener-dial habits.
Buddy's Return - to Radio
After five years in prison for racketeering conspiracy from 2002 to 2007, former Mayor of Providence Buddy Cianci returned to the public eye with a radio show on WPRO.
While controversial, Cianci's continued popularity has people wondering if Buddy might just make another run for Mayor in 2014.
Chafee's Talk Radio Ban
Upon taking office in 2011, Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee announced that he would not appear on talk radio shows and barred state employees in agencies and departments that report to him from doing the same during work hours.
Governor Chafee is among the elected officials who have signed the "For Our Daughters" pledge.
Dennis and Callahan
WEEI sports radio hosts John Dennis and Gerry Callahan were suspended in 2003 when they referred to an escaped gorilla as a "Metco gorilla" waiting for a bus to Lexington -- with Metco being bus program that buses inner-city students to suburban schools.
Boston's http://www.wcvb.com/Radio-Station-Gorilla-Remarks-Spur-Advertiser-Concerns/-/9849586/11281756/-/5lg3o9z/-/index.html#ixzz2nbPAwzd2" target="_blank">WCVB reported that advertisers Dunkin' Donuts and Blue Cross pulled back station support in light of the incident.
WTKK's Jay Severin was fired for making comments about sleeping with female employees over the years.
Radio Ink reported on Greater Media's reaction to the incident.
"Greater Media today ended its relationship with Jay Severin. Our company has always encouraged a free and open dialogue on a variety of issues and topics, and we will continue to be guided by that principle. But we also demand that our on-air talent maintain an appropriate level of civility, and adhere to a standard that respects our listeners and the public at large.
Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is no stranger to controversy; his latest remarks prompted the Democratic National Committee to call on Republican leaders to boycott the Daily Caller, which defended Limbaugh's remarks in an article entitled, "Liberals want to stop men from checking out women."
- Andrew Gobeil: Can AM Radio Be Saved?
- NEW: Former Radio Host Admits Role in Insurance Fraud Scheme
- Rob Horowitz: Here’s Hoping For Mike Huckabee’s Radio Success
- BankRI Donates $5K to Latino Public Radio
- RI Radio Hall Of Fame Honors Announced
- Infamous Talk Radio Controversies
- GoLocal Radio Show to Premiere on WEEI 103.7 This Saturday
- Special 920 WHJJ Radio Report: Providence on the Brink
- Special 920 WHJJ Radio Report: 38 Studios
- GoLocal’s Coverage of 38 Studios is Featured on CBS Radio - Listen
- Special GoLocal and 920 WHJJ Radio Report: Primary Preview
- Special 920 WHJJ Radio Report: Corruption in Providence
- Media Buzz: Former Anchor Forced To Resign, Edward R. Murrow Speaks, Cicilline Radio Grab
- The State of Talk Radio in New England
- Guess Who Made the RI Radio Hall of Fame?
- Media Buzz: Radio DJ Learns Fate, TV Make-Over, Matt Lauer Makes Channel 10
- UPDATED GoLocalProv to Go on Sirius Radio Tomorrow
- Hasbro Radiothon Raises $490,000
- ‘Rhode Island Radio’ Looks Back at 90 Years of Broadcasting
- Media Buzz: Valicenti, Vieira, & White, Radio Wars and More!
- Was WPRO Radio Report A Political Hit & Run?
- Media Buzz: Anchor Wanted, More Cumulus Cuts, Is Channel 10 For Sale?, Radio Ratings Winners
- 10’s Valicenti & Radio Reporter Battle It Out
- NEW: “Social Women” Debuts Today on Radio, Internet
- YWCA Rhode Island Launches ‘She Shines’ Radio Program
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.