In Case You Missed It: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR
Saturday, February 22, 2014
EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
At first glance, the dismissal of Julie Tremmel may not seem to amount to much. A young reporter is dismissed from a local TV station… and so?
So a lot, actually.
Read more about the Tremmel case and its implications for media HERE.
Related Slideshow: Rhode Island’s Changing Media Landscape
Radio, print, television and digital - the faces in Rhode Islands's media has changed drastically over the past months... Let's take a look at some of the biggest moves:
The long-time publisher was Belo's man in Providence. Howard Sutton was the man that implemented the changes that Dallas wanted to try and make the company more efficient and more profitable.
The results were dismal. Maybe no newspaper in the country lost a higher precentage of ad revenue than the Projo over the past decade.
He was the face of the paper in the community.
Rick Daniels has joined GoLocal24 as Chief Operating Officer.
Daniels is the former President of the Boston Globe. He also served as CEO of Gatehouse Media for New England and led a consortium of investors who attempted to purchase the Boston Globe from the New York Times Company in 2013.
Daniels then went on to play a key role at Empirical Media Advisors based in New York, focused mainly on Tribune Publishing, where Emprical’s co-founder and CEO, Jack Griffin, recently took the role of CEO.
WLNE-TV has fired anchor Karen Meyers. She had been with the station since 2011.
Meyers had anchored the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. news with John DeLuca. Sources say station management opted not to renew her contract and decided to go in another direction.
Before Meyers joined ABC6, she was a reporter/anchor with New England Cable News and was a reporter in Washington, DC.
According to RIPR reporter Ian Donnis, Providence Journal's Health Reporter is leaving. Felice Freyer has been the sole reporter covering Rhode Island's largest businss sector.
Freyer leaves for the Boston Globe.
Her departure follows Phil Marcelo who recently left the Projo for AP in Boston.
Editor's note: An earlier version incorrectly had RIPR reporter Scott MacKay as breaking the story.
Veteran radio reporter Flo Jonic recently was fired by RINPR after she filed complaints against the station for gender-based pay discrimination.
Jonic is a 30 year veteran of New England news radio.
In her charge filed in February, Jonic wrote, "I believe that I have been discriminated against based on my sex by my employer," and referred to the difference in her pay and that of RIPR reporter Ian Donnis.
"Currently, [reporter] Ian Donnis earns at least $75,000 a year, while I make $51,000 per year. We perform the same duties, and I have 32 more years experience than he does," wrote Jonic in her complaint.
After a seven year stint reporting for the Providence Journal's state house bureau, Phil Marcelo left the paper to take a reporting gig with the Boston office of the Associated Press.
Hailing from Long Island, New York, Marcelo came to ProJo in 2006, and covered everything from regional news, to Providence City Hall and the Statehouse. Marcelo's departure was first reported by WRNI's Ian Donnis.
Formerly a nightly news reporter for WJAR, Tremmel was fired from the "Team You Trust" after two clips, one of her performing on-air handstands, and the other offering tips on what to do during a bear attack, went viral.
The video became an internet sensation, but long-time Channel 10 newsman Jim Taricani called Tremmel’s antics “a smudge on our station's reputation.”
A long-time staple of Channel 10’s news team, Taricani announced plans to retire after over three decades with the station.
Taricani has won 5 regional Emmy awards, an Edward R. Murrow award for investigative journalism and a Prestigious Yankee Quill Award from the New England Newspaper Association.
He was convicted to six months in prison in 2004 for refusing to reveal a source, and is the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Rhode Island Hall of Fame.
Ron St. Pierre
- 10 Examples Why News Media is in Chaos
- Bob Lobel: How We Brand Ourselves in the Media
- Media Buzz: Ch 10’s Traffic, WPRO-AM Try Out?, Former Ch12 Anchor Done Deal
- NEW: Mediation Ordered in State Pension Reform Lawsuit
- Is RI Media a Boys Club?
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Weddings + Social Media
- State Report: Social Media Privacy, Taxi Cab Tax + Jobs for Vets
- 10 Things College Students Should Know About Social Media
- College Admissions: How Social Media Can Ruin Your Application
- Media Wars: WPRO Launches Promo Using Progressive Blog’s Name
- RI Media - LIN Up, Belo Down, Phoenix Laysoffs Five, GoLocal Up 500%
- Media Experts Question Pollster’s Dual Roles for Speaker and Media
- Pell Calls on Mediation Parties to Set Deadline in RI Pension Suit
- Up Close With Social Media Entrepreneur Abby Moreau
- Comedian Bob Marley Coming to Newport
- Modern Manners + Etiquette: Social Media Misbehaviors
- NEW: MSNBC’s Chris Hayes to Lead Media Panel Discussion at Brown
- Pursuing Technology + Fiber Optics With a Multi-Media Education
- Brown Leads Massive Online Survey on Parenting, Media + Learning
- Former BankRI CEO Lands $300/Hour Gig Mediating Foreclosures
- NEW: ‘Tax the Rich’ Group Launches Media Campaign
- Rob Horowitz: New Media Trends Accelerate
- RI Media Changes - Glover Out and St. Pierre in at WHJJ
- EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
- Don Roach: Welcome to the Era of Social Media Wars
- NEW: Alex and Ani Expands Media Division
- Rob Horowitz: Social Media Becoming a Force in Politics
- NEW: RI Pension Lawsuit Mediation Update Coming Wednesday
- Rhode Island Candidates with the Most Social Media Reach
- In Case You Missed It: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- Alex and Ani CEO Feroce Launches Seven Swords Media
- NEW: Dave Layman Named Communications and Media Strategies Director for Brendan Doherty
- Test Your Local Media Memory—-Take Our Quiz
- NEW: Schilling Heckler is Providence Wannabe Comedian
- Rob Horowitz: Trust in Media Near an All Time Low
- NEW: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- Atlantic 10 Media Day ReCap
- LIVE: Crowdwire Social Media Exit Poll
- NEW: Gemma Steps Down From Mediapeel; Congressional Run Likely
- GoLocal is Hiring - We are Looking for Digital Media Consultants
- NEW: Seven Swords Media Receives Inc. 500 Award
- Russell Moore: Newspapers: The Typewriters Of Media
- PODCAST: EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
- BIA/Kelsey Names GoLocal24 Future Star in Local Digital Media
- Leading Media Strategist Merrill Brown Joins GoLocal24 Board
- NEW: GoGo Cast Launches App With Alex and Ani’s Seven Swords Media
- New England Colleges With Biggest Social Media Reach
- Seven Swords Media Selected for New HP and Google Technology Pilot