Hopkinton Welcome Center on I-95 Cancelled
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
The RIDOT asked the Federal Highway Administration to rescind RIDOT’S application for a $9 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grant that was to be used for the plaza.
"This was the right decision to make for several reasons. First, we wanted to do what was best for Hopkinton. We understand that the residents treasure the rural nature of their town and they want to keep it that way. Secondly, in light of the findings that came from the environmental site assessments and archaeological review there were other concerns. Finally, in our meetings with FHWA, it was clear that the environmental and social challenges of this project would make it difficult to go through the environmental assessment process in a timely manner,” said RIDOT Director Peter Alviti.
The letter requesting that the application be rescinded was delivered to the FHWA Division Administrator for the Rhode Island Division.
RIDOT has already budgeted #3 million for this project and a portion of those funds will be used to enhance the existing Welcome Center on I-95 .
Part of the funds will be put towards the installation of electrical pods that will allow truckers to plug in at night for both warmth and light. RIDOT will also create additional parking bays for trucks.
The rest of the funds will be put toward faster bridge reconstruction and repair.
Related Slideshow: RI’s Most Dangerous Bridges
The American Road and Transportation Builders Association recently released a list of the most traveled, deficient bridges in each state. In Rhode Island, those bridges were:
- NEW: RIDOT Awarded $760,000 to Encourage Business Development and Improve Bridges
- RIDOT Releases Time-Lapse Video Documenting Bridge Replacement at Barton Corner
- NEW: RIDOT Engineer on Highway Traffic Safety Committee
- RIDOT Construction Season Begins
- NEW: Lewis to Step Down, Raimondo Announces New RIDOT Chief
- Raimondo, RIDOT Kick Off Amtrak High Speed Rail Work at Kingston Station
- Rhode Island’s Truck Tolls Approved by Feds, According to RIDOT
- RIDOT Accepting Proposals for New Pawtucket Commuter Rail Station
- RIDOT Names 10 New Senior Management Team Members
- RIDOT’s Alviti Says “Let Me Tell You Something Pal” to Constituent at Public Meeting
- NEW: RIDOT Forced to Clean up Pollution and Clean Water Act Violations
- RIDOT Announces Upcoming Bridge Closures