Helena Foulkes: 15 to Watch in RI in 2015
Tuesday, December 30, 2014
Of the $65.6 billion CVS retail business, Fortune wrote, "Overseeing more than 7,700 pharmacies serving more than 5 million people every day, Foulkes was a key architect of the company’s decision in February to become the first pharmacy chain to stop selling tobacco products. In September the company renamed itself CVS Health, in part to reflect the change in strategy."
Over the course of her twenty-year career with the company, Foulkes has played an important leadership role in growing CVS from its retail beginnings to the largest pharmacy health care provider in the United States.
Having served as a member of Governor-elect Gina Raimondo's transition team, Foulkes is poised to play a critical role in overseeing operations at CVS -- and also an important position in continuing to cultivate the relationship between the Woonsocket-based business entity and state of Rhode Island.
Related Slideshow: 15 to Watch in RI in 2015
Take a look at the 15 for 2015.
Ogie's Trailer Park
The new addition to the West Side drinking-and-dining scene will be one to watch in the coming year.
The bar slash restaurant slash beer garden, which just opened (with a clean inspection bill from the Department of Health) will feature late night fare into the wee hours, for those looking for a midnight snack -- or brew or two.
The head of the Wolf School in East Providence, Anna Johnson is a product -- and success story -- of the best Rhode Island's colleges have to offer. After getting her BA in Psychology from Brown, Johnson went on to get her Master's in Elementary Education at Brown, followed by a Master's in School Administration from Providence College.
Carolyn Thomas-Davis, who heads up OneVoice RI (which bills itself as "mobilizing, empowering and engaging communities throughout the State of Rhode Island...encouraging political awareness and involvement, on all levels of government") was an active force in Providence in 2014, and will no doubt be at the forefront of community issues in 2015.
After losing in 2012 to incumbent Representative William San Bento, Tobon emerged victorious this past election cycle in Pawtucket, besting independent opponent Jonathan Vallecilla with over 80% of the vote to represent the 58th House District in the General Assembly.
There are a lot of changes taking place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, as it is currently undergoing a major renovation and expansion -- and 2015 will mark the first full year with its new CEO, former world #4 Todd Martin, at the helm.
Individually, they would take up four out of the 15 to Watch list, but we're keeping an eye on the group as a whole. On November 6, the number of women on the Providence City Council increased by 100%. In the span of 24 hours, women on the City Council went from 2 out of 15 members last term, to four of the 15 members this term.
The Hassenfeld Institute for Public leadership at Bryant University provides public officials and others involved in the development, management, and execution of public policy with the "tools and skills needed to make informed decisions and manage responsive organizations in order to govern and lead public sector and non-profit organizations effectively" -- and according to Founder and Director (and GoLocal MINDSETTER) Gary Sasse, is about to step up its presence advising in policy matters in the state.
Since being elected Rhode Island's first female Governor in November, Governor-elect Gina Raimondo has made a number of key staffing announcements leading up to her inauguration on January 6 -- including two staffers from Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley's Administration.
- Russell Moore: CVS’s Freedom of Choice
- In Case You Missed It: RI’s CVS Responds to SNL Parody Sketch
- CVS Caremark Charity Golf Tournament Field, Events Announced
- CVS Charity Classic Press Conference
- NEW: CVS Charity Classic Finalizes 2014 Field, Pairings
- NEW: Tobacco Free RI Applauds CVS for Decision to Quit Tobacco
- RI’s CVS Responds to Saturday Night Live Parody Sketch
- Stricker + Van Pelt Win CVS Caremark Charity Classic 2013
- CVS Caremark + Kimberly Clark Plant Garden At Highlander Charter
- CVS Caremark Charity Classic Gives $1.3M to RI Non-Profits
- CVS Classic: Stricker, Van Pelt Repeat as Champions
- INFOGRAPHIC: CVS is RI’s Largest Company
- CVS Caremark Changes Name to CVS Health, Halts Tobacco Sales Ahead of Target Date
- CVS Charity Classic Funds Presentation (REPLAY)
- CVS Classic Announces First Round Tee Times
- CVS Classic: Pros, Locals Play Together in Charity Pro-Am
- CVS Health Awards $20,000 Grant to Rhode Island Vet Corps
- CVS Subpoenaed in NFL Class Action Drug Suit
- GoLocalProv to Live Stream CVS Charity Classic Funds Presentation
- CVS Downtown 5k
- Rhode Island Residents Celebrated for 25 Years of Participation in CVS Health Downtown 5k
- CVS Classic: Defending Champs Tied for Lead Entering Final Round
- CVS Caremark Charity Classic Hosts Golf Clinics For Veterans