Guest MINDSETTER ™ Tom Kenney: Providence Leadership
Monday, August 17, 2015
The City of Providence’s Elorza administration has done just that with the Providence Fire department and the results have been nothing short of unmanageable and could very well be disastrous in several ways for the Mayor, the City and the firefighters. The Mayor’s future political aspirations are on the line and fading fast! At this point I don’t believe that he can adequately salvage the damage he’s done enough to save his political career. The City’s present and future budgets, far from being saved by the implementation of this 3 platoon system, are going to be decimated by the costly overruns of overtime and other unforeseen costs and the retirement system has already been unnecessarily strained by the sudden early retirements of over 50 or more firefighters since his announcement.
A politician attempting to run a fire department, even one with years of experience, would be treading on thin ice. There are systems in place and in planning that are necessary to keep a fire department in a large city effective in protecting its citizens and its firefighters. Mayor Elorza doesn’t know an engine company from a ladder company. Commissioner Pare has about as much knowledge of a fire department as a firefighter who has been on the job for a few years. And Kinsler has probably never stepped foot in a fire station in his adult life and knows absolutely nothing about the City of Providence!
These men are the holy triumvirate making possibly life or death decisions about Providence firefighters’ lives, about citizen safety and about the taxpayers’ spending. I suggest they have about as much working knowledge of the ins and outs of the Providence Fire Department as my wife. After all, she’s been involved in this fire service life for the last 18 years!
Citizens of the state beware, this attorney along with your Mayor or Town Manager will be attempting this in your community very soon if it is kept this way in Providence. Many of the disastrous consequences of this system may not rear their ugly heads (at least so that the public will be aware) for a while; but rest assured they will!
City Councils and Town Councils have the responsibility of vetting any drastic changes to their public safety departments very carefully before voting to approve any such change. This is not like changing the garbage pickup from weekly to bi-weekly. If that doesn’t work out you simply have to reverse the change. If public safety goes haywire the results could be catastrophic!
Tom Kenney is the Captain of the Providence Fire Department
- Providence Firefighter Pensions—Disability vs. Regular
- NEW: Providence Firefighters Asked to Take Pay Cuts
- Providence Fire Bosses Earn an Extra $400,000 in Benefits
- Providence Firefighters Sue City
- GoLocalProv Uncovers: Providence Fire Bosses File to Unionize
- Providence Fire Bosses - $700,000 in ‘Illegal’ Severance Pay
- GoLocalTV: Providence Firefighters Oppose Elorza’s Shift Plan
- 63 Providence Firefighters Made More Than 100K in FY 2014
- NEW: Massive Providence Fire Took Place at Marijuana Producers Association Building
- Johnston, North Providence Firefighters To Square Off in Football Game
- E-Mail Blasts Providence Fire Contract
- NEW: Providence Fire Fighters Endorse Taveras for Governor
- Providence Firefighters’ Raise Could Trigger Millions in Raises for Teachers
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. James C. Sheehan: RI’s Most Business Friendly Budget in Decades
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Don Grebien: McCoy Stadium, Where History Still Lives
- Guest MINDSETTER Joel Hellmann: What PARCC Doesn’t Measure
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Diana Chekrallah: Dramatic Increase in Heroin Use Should be a Wake-Up Call
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Ed Renehan: Rhode Island Needs to Get Real
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Jeff Deckman: Greece and RI - Independence Back into Bondage
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Heather Tow-Yick, Kelsey Lucas: What Rhode Islanders Need in ESEA Reauthorization
- Guest MINDSETTER™ David Norton: PawSox Owners Trying to Buy Support
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: The Real Costs of Running a Fire Dept.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Chace Baptista: Rhode Island Might be Different
- Guest MINDSETTER™ John Turbitt: Our Own Worst Enemy
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Berwick: How to Legalize Marijuana in RI
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Audra McPhillips: Helping Families Adapt to Common Core Math
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Berwick: Repairing and Replacing RI’s Structurally Deficient Bridges
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Tom Kenney: Show Me the Money! Show Me the Savings!
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ John Loughlin: PawSox Listening Tour? Listen to This!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Anne Grant: Fix DCYF Dysfunction and Stop Family Law Malpractice
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Berwick: The Best Deal for RI Taxpayers is to Keep PawSox in Pawtucket
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Berwick: Looking Back at Nixon’s Resignation 41 Years Ago
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ John Loughlin: National Security is Embedded in the Arctic
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Berwick: Solving Problems Using Public and Private Relationships
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Walter S. Felag, Jr: RI Senate’s Ongoing Commitment to RI Veterans
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Nick Cicchitelli: For Ploutus, Mt. Olympus
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Rep. Gregg Amore: A 33 % Raise is Not a Good Idea
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Art Norwalk: Should We Swing at the PawSox Owners’ Next Pitch?